Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rainbow returning from the Cook Islands

C Shaw
    12:56 AM (4 hours ago)
    to me

Hi Jackie! I landed in Nuku Hiva a few days ago, but just now got internet access for a few hours. Had good steady trade winds varying from 7-8 to about 18 knots all the way to the Equator, with only one very heavy but short rain squall. No increase in wind with the rain though, so nothing to do but get on deck for a shower, which REALLY felt good! Finally motored for about 44 hours once South of the EQ, then the wind came back and I put Kermit back up for the final several days' hop into port. At that point I was running 4 days ahead of my 2015 time, but finally had to slow down and lay to overnight to make final entry at first light Sunday morning April 23.

Saw Dolphin playing alongside and ahead twice, and had daily boardings by squid and flying fish-- two of the latter even got into the boat through open hatches! My B & G masthead anemometer died the second day out so I never got to try having the Pelagic AP steer by wind input after Brian came all the way to the boat twice to get it dialed in for me!, But the plain old non-electric Windex pointer stayed on the job. Friends are coming in May and will bring a new anemometer so I'll eventually be able to try steering by the wind point.

I've been getting my bearings here and trying to avoid over exposure to the sun and heat -- made the mistake of walking a little too far in the afternoon heat a couple of days ago, so reserving afternoons for naps in the shade now. I'm getting excellent service and advice as needed from Kevin Ellis of Yacht Services Nuku Hiva, so that has really helped me get oriented.

I will probably head out to another anchorage for awhile then get back here to meet my guests in mid May, and let life unfold from there.
    Hi to all my SSS and other friends, and best regards, Cliff

C Shaw
    9:39 PM (16 minutes ago)
    to me

Rainbow is moored at the Bora Bora Yacht Club Restaurant for an excellent dinner and sunset view. Two friends from Kauai flew in for three weeks split between Nuku Hiva and two of the Tuamotu atolls -- a lovely time, and having experienced crew made visiting the atolls possible--not something to try alone for the first time.

Plus, he proposed and she accepted on a beautiful motu surrounded by soft rose colored sand in Rangiroa lagoon!

Next stop was Papeete to buy a new outboard motor to replace the one I managed to dunk --durn motors don't have the sense to hold their breath when they are underwater!

Moved on to Maupiti, my favorite Island so far in FP. Spent a week there in 2015, then another just now. Beautiful lagoon. Had to come to Bora Bora to complete customs exit process, hoping to have my clearance tomorrow and depart for Aitutaki, Cook Islands tomorrow.

Hope all is well with you and Hi to my SSS friends. Best regards, Cliff

Fair winds and good luck to SHTP racers! Cliff Shaw Rainbow inreachlink.com/PE3OPTR (-16.4907, -151.7612) - Clifford Shaw

Philpott just wrote:

Could you post this on the forum, please? I'm in Bodega Bay, and don't think I will be available to accompany Cliff so soon after returning. Someone else might be, though.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
    From: Clifford Shaw (via inReach) <no.reply.inreach@garmin.com>
    Date: Mon, Aug 14, 2023 at 4:52 AM
    Subject: inReach message from Clifford Shaw
    To: <jacqueline.philpott@gmail.com>

Hi Jackie Rainbow inbound 383 miles to GGB Wednesday or Thurs. Can you see track at share.garmin.com/CliffordShaw ?

View the location or send a reply to Clifford Shaw:
    https://explore.garmin.com/textmessa...tt%40gmail.com

Clifford Shaw sent this message from: Lat 38.471525 Lon -130.526075

Do not reply directly to this message.

This message was sent to you using the inReach two-way satellite communicator with GPS. To learn more, visit http://explore.garmin.com/inreach.

Welcome Home Cliff and Rainbow! Rainbow will be anchoring overnight in Drakes Bay before making her entry under the Golden Gate Bridge sometime tomorrow midday.