Thread: reviews of digital charting software

Smile reviews of digital charting software

Hi folks,
    I have to buy two ( nav table and cockpit under hard dodger)chart plotters or mfd's and have never owned a gps where the factory hadn't already pre-loaded a local area chart package which was adequate for my area. My current cruising plans are to go to South America from Hawaii. Other then tha the chart packages then that are generally expensive, I know nothing about which ones are best for sailors. Some appear to be mostly for fishermen or power boats. I dont have any experience with any of them. So C-Map, Navionics, and some variations of those same brand, and other brands are out there, and frankly there is no one to talk to as they mostly do not want to have to pay knowledgeable people to sell their products. And we dont really have anyone but West Marine locally, and they dont know much about this subject. I cannot afford the B & G stuff.
    Anyone have any suggestions? I did purchase the Iridium Go package and their YB3.i tracker to attach to my panasonic toughbook.
    thanks for any suggestions.
    By the way, as most of you probably know, this forum is a great resource for a newbie. As a result of suggestions on this forum, I purchased the Iridium and had a brand new "butterfly" downwind sail built. Thank all of you for taking the time to share your knowledge. I am also building a new Li-ion battery system, also as a result of the forum.
    The only problems I have had so far is I think I need a transfusion because I am bleeding money. The main issue however is finding labor that is competent.
    Jim

Just a quick note. I dont have a lot of experience to help you, but I do have a B&G MFD and one thing that is useful is the ability to remotely see and control the B&G from a phone. So you don't necessarily have to buy two MFDs. I have two RAM waterproof wireless phone charging mounts: one under the dodger and one at the helm. I mostly use Navionics or similar apps such as Aqua Maps depending on what I need, but I can see and control the MFD charts, see instruments and the radar on the phone too, although I mostly use a small B&G Triton display for instruments. The phone is useful inside too as my MFD is mounted where I cant easily see it when asleep. I can just open my eyes, look at the phone and check everything. If I didn't have a Triton outside, the phone would work. Now the B&G app and the Wi-Fi link is not the best. The system doesn't work very well near San Francisco city front for example which is crowded with other Wi-Fi signals. But it does work offshore. It could be if you use a Wi-Fi repeater that might fix things, but I haven't tried. Just FYI.

I too am experimenting with twin headsails and we have that discussion going on another thread. I'd be interested to hear how you butterfly sail build went on that thread.