Thread: 2023 Corinthian SIs are now posted on jibeset

Default 2023 Corinthian SIs are now posted on jibeset

Hello, SSS Corinthian Racers!

Sailing Instructions are now posted on the Jibeset page for the race: https://www.jibeset.net/JACKY000.php?RG=T00134165

I always recommend reading the SIs carefully, so go do that, but let me highlight a few things we've done to try to make this year's race safer and more hopefully more fun:

1) There will be two "five minute intermissions" in the start sequence. We believe this will help separate boats out in time.

2) There are two courses. We believe this will help separate boats out in space.

3) The courses are the same length as last year's course, which almost no one finished by last year's cutoff at 1800. This year's cutoff is 1900.

Thank you for racing with the SSS, and we look forward to seeing you on the water this weekend!

Richard, 2023 SSS Race Co-Chair
    Last edited by fauxboat; 02-22-2023 at 04:25 PM.

I didn't catch it prior but I notice that both SH and DH Express 27s and Moore 24s are are course 2. ALL the other SH classes are on course one. It is impossible to do an "overall" SH for the race if there are two different courses being used.

Not long after Pearl Harbor the navy commandeered long range tuna boats to supply the troops in the Pacific, 49 in all. 600 fisherman, mostly from Southern California, signed up, put on uniforms and delivered the goods; foods, meats, anything that had to be frozen, plus high-test gas for aircraft, engine parts, clothing, even the sick and wounded 30 or 40 at a time.
    These tuna clippers were perfect for longe range transport but rarely steamed over ten knots. So yeah, among other terms the clippers jokingly became known as the Pork Chop Express. They were brave souls and played an important part in the Pacific theater. It is highly likely some of what they delivered made it to Frank Anderson, my father in law, who saw action in Saipan, Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima and Kwajalein atoll among others. I would love to say we named our little vessel as a nod to these men and their boats but we really just dig the movie “Big Trouble in Little China”. Kurt Russel’s semi is called, well you know. After some research into what director John Carpenter was thinking, The Pork Chop Express story was a pleasant surprise. And yes, it’s time to pen a historical novel and screenplay.

As I wrote this a curious looking navy ship named “Grasp” steamed pass Pier 39.
    It looks and is about the same length as a San Diego tuna boat from the 30’s. Weird.

But I digress. This is supposed to be about Saturday’s race which was fun, frustrating and beautiful. As we are all geared up for another Pacific crossing things are a bit heavy but the PCXpress slid along nicely despite. I never really saw FOC but know my waypoint was East of it. Unfortunately my last waypoint was for a different G1 (little Harding) and I headed for the barn after leaving it to starboard. Good grief. The RC was a bit confused when I abruptly turned away about 1/4 mile from the finish to go to the North Channel G1! I added 3 miles and maybe 40 minutes to my time but in the spirit of those wonderful So Cal Tuna Clippers, kept on chugging and finished the job.

Thank you RC for another splendid experience. And Richard, it was a fine course. Many would not have finished a 20 mile deal. One reason I decided to keep rolling is my option of temporarily docking at Pier 39 where I reside thus avoiding the cold dark slog back to Richmond. There is no shame in a dnf on days like these. I did have to go fetch the car yesterday though!

Chris Jordan
    The Pork Chop Express
    Last edited by everydaysailor; 02-27-2023 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    I didn't catch it prior but I notice that both SH and DH Express 27s and Moore 24s are are course 2. ALL the other SH classes are on course one. It is impossible to do an "overall" SH for the race if there are two different courses being used.
    Good catch, Solosailor!

I'd talked to the fleet captains / presidents of those three classs, and all wanted the singlehanders and doublehandeds of their class to sail the same course since the race is a counter toward their class-specific series. The reason we have great attendance from those classes is because it's a counter, so I was happy to oblige --- but you're quite right I dodged a bullet with SSS's own season scoring. With BAMA it does not matter, but I'll reach out again to the Moore and Express fleet captains to ask them to remind their sailors to enter doublehanded with us if they want to be on the same course as their doublehanded class-mates.