Thread: SHTP Crunch Time...

Default SHTP Crunch Time...

Hey Everyone,

Getting ready for the SHTP is the hardest part (everyone says) and i have found that they (whoever said that) are absolutely right!!! I don't know about others, but I am stressed with the mountain of details, preparation (boat and self) and endless check list items lists. Which is where I have some questions and thought about starting this thread regarding some official interpretation of some of the less obvious SERs...

Emergency Steering (3.29.1): "A boat shall have an emergency tiller, capable of being fitted to the rudder stock"

My Question... I assume that this requirement apply to all boats whether normally steered by a wheel or a tiller, right? ...and not just for wheel steered yachts. I have a Cal40 with a tiller and my read of this rule is that I will need a separate (e.g. a "spare") tiller in case my current tiller breaks and that it is capable of being attached to rudder post. Is this a correct interpretation?

If so, what have others done to comply with this requirement and can it be simply a wooden tiller stock without the tiller-to-stock attachment (which would be rare to break)? ...and are we allowed to lash or drill a spare tiller stock to a broken tiller for the purposes of compliance with this requirement?

Michael P
    Cal40 Solstice

...also would love to hear interpretations from the inspection teams on this and others questions hopefully posted. Thanks, mp

...BTW when will the inspection process start?

Michael, is your boat still at KKMI? At least five people who have done the SHTP keep their boats in the Richmond Yacht Club Harbor, right down the street. Drive over. Walk the docks. Tony Bourque was on his boat tinkering today. Doug Paine (SHTP 2014) is on E Dock. We chatted today and he laughed about his trip up the mast four days out. I watched Green Buffalo sail into the harbor after a day on the water at about 4:30 pm. You don't have to do this alone, and it's more fun to touch base in person.
    Jackie

Will do Jackie... Next time up I will swing by the Richmond YC docks to have a look at other people's projects for a change... LOL

Yes, my boat is still in Point Richmond between the Sugar Dock (with Gilles Combrisson) and Bay Marine/Svendsens... Lots of needed projects ongoing that have taken some extended time due to weather delays, parts delays, and finding more things to address and to fix. Good to find out now though versus 1K offshore, right? The good news is that the boat is being thoroughly improved for function and seaworthiness but the bad news is that it is taking precious time away from my being able to sail and practice with these upgrades, new rigging, and new electronics systems being installed. The list is long and I am doing everything I can to get it done in time. Tick, tick, tick...

Michael P.

Hey Michael. Totally understand the “mountain” in front of you. I went through that last year prepping for PAC Cup only to turn around 1 day in! Then my boat spent 6 months at Berkeley Marine Center (long story). But I still have a ping to do list but much better this year than last. Just keep plugging away at it. Prioritize your list (I am sure your are). What are the required things vs the nice to have things. right across from me at RYC are two Cal 40s that have done the SHTP. One wheel (Green Buffalo) and one tiller (Nazomi). You could certainly ask them. But I think if you found an appropriate length tiller and drilled the right hole pattern in so you could bolt it into the rudder/tiller head if needs you would be OK. I did this on my old Newport 30 just as piece of mind for local Bay and ocean sailing. You could check Blue Pelican and Minneys for used ones.

On my Wilderness 30 I had a spare tiller with stainless cheeks attached and a spare bolt to fit it to the head.
    I have the same for the B25.

In case you're thinking that having a spare tiller for a tiller-steered boat is excessive: We won the OYRA season championship with Troubadour in 2002 because our doublehanded rival snapped off their tiller and had to retire, giving us the season win by one point.

Some years later Skip and I were doing an OYRA race on Ragtime! I lost my balance and fell on the tiller, cracking it. We were able to apply a Spanish windlass and finish the race, but it was dicey. Dropping in a spare would have been a safer fix.

Surprise!'s original tiller has a crack through it. That's three-for-three...

Hi Michael -
    To directly answer your original question(s)-
    Yes, this is a requirement for all boats, regardless of normal set up (wheel or tiller)... for all of the reasons Bob mentions above.
    And Greg is spot on with the intent that this be a complete setup.
    Cheeks can and do brake, and that component is the last thing you'd want to jury rig at sea.

DH

Micheal, I have a spare you can borrow to the duration, fits the head on my Cal 40 rudder.

Chris

Hi guys: here's my inspection checklist that might help someone. I just finished it and maybe I'll have to make some updates after inspection but I hope not too many. Its just a list of every SER line item and my notes on meeting each requirement, LMK if you want the source in Excel…

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images