Thread: Hanalei mooring permit

Default Hanalei mooring permit

I've gotten hold of the application for a permit to anchor in Hanalei Bay. For our fleet the Division of Boating and Ocean Recreation is waiving the requirement for a survey or inspection by a state harbor agent within the last two years, but the form also states that we must list the State of Hawaii as an additional insured. I knew I wouldn't be insured for the crossing, but my carrier Progressive won't even cover me for sitting at anchor in Hanalei.

Has anyone else run up against this issue, and/or come up with a workaround? My agent suggests that it might be possible to get a liability-only policy, which of course is what Hawaii cares about. Anybody know a carrier or agent to try?

Max

A multi-time SHTP competitor was going to cruise to meet the fleet in Hanalei but the challenges of getting insurance made him cancel plans. I also looked into a liability only policy and couldn't find anyone to would write it.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    A multi-time SHTP competitor was going to cruise to meet the fleet in Hanalei but the challenges of getting insurance made him cancel plans.
    I was in touch with him too. Somehow it didn't click that I might have the same problem! I suppose I could finish, turn and burn.
    Last edited by Critter; 05-09-2023 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Smiley not where I expected it

Mexico has this liked. Mexican ins cos write the policies. Maybe a Hawaii co could do the same?

FWIW: When I sailed to Hawaii in 2020 and applied for a mooring permit I called BoatUS/Gieco and advised that I needed my policy updated to have Hawaii listed as the additional insured. They sent the form by email the same day. They did not ask how the boat got to Hawaii, but simply treated it as a change of marinas. I paid a pro-rated premium increase because of the risk of hurricanes, but it wasn't much. When I got to Seattle in 2021, I called and had the certificate re-issued for the marina here and got a pro-rated refund. Again, how the boat got from there to here did not come up. The policy covers "coastal waters of the US and Canada" so that helped.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32