Thread: UPDATED Farallones Sailing Instructions, plus competitor slides, and classes, posted

Default UPDATED Farallones Sailing Instructions, plus competitor slides, and classes, posted

Elsewhere one of our careful readers pointed out an error in the description of the starting mark: Mark "A" is set off of the St Francis YC. The sailing instructions have been revised to reflect that, and are now posted on Jibeset.

If you missed the competitor's meeting, you missed some great discussion from Mike, Ralph, Tom, Daniel, Chris et al, but the slides are still worth a look. Among other things, the slides include Raph's recommended waypoints for rounding SE Farallon Island.

Classes are also posted.

https://jibeset.net/JACKY000.php?RG=T004394200

Wishing you all a safe and successful race,

Richard, 2023 SSS Race Co-Chair

Does anyone want to know what it was like out there during the "race"? Well, it started out great and I think we were all hopeful. And then? Not so hopeful.

My hat is off to all five sailors who finished. Especially impressive must have been the finish by Robert on s/v Nina and Jeff on s/v Werewolf. After more than twelve hours on the course, they finished within two minutes of each other. Wow! Wish I'd seen THAT finish just after sunset!

I’m not so sure the trip out for s/v Greyhound was any more comfortable than for the rolly boats, but I’d like to hear how it went for Evan.

Guillaume on s/v Outcast finished after 14 hours on the course. A Farr 38? In those conditions? I look forward to hearing his story.

And then there is the newest Cal 40 on the bay, successful dinghy sailor Bart Hackworth, who completed his first Singlehanded Farallones aboard s/v Shaman, formerly owned by Tom Burden.

Name:  rice cakes.jpg
Views: 5254
Size:  548.3 KB

I took bonine every night Wed Thurs and Friday. Getting it into my system seems to work for me. Between the successful drugs and rice cakes I was cranky but not nauseous. Thank goodness.

Here's a video taken of s/v Sweet Pea w Jan Hirsch aboard. That fog was dense! Thank you to Todd Arnold s/v Osprey for the video. Thank you to Jan for sharing it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o6P...ew?ts=6460f6d0

I watched you guys and the Duxship Race fleet on RaceTV and MarineTraffic. It made me neither cranky nor nauseous. I'm glad a few were able to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I watched you guys and the Duxship Race fleet on RaceTV and MarineTraffic. It made me neither cranky nor nauseous. I'm glad a few were able to finish.
    Yeah, that Rebecca, she's something! Here's the definition for Bombora:

bom·bor·a
    nounAUSTRALIAN a wave which forms over a submerged offshore reef or rock, sometimes breaking heavily and producing a dangerous stretch of broken water.

Name:  Rebecca Hinden.jpg
Views: 4975
Size:  311.0 KB

One year Rebecca participated in the Singlehanded Farallones, said she only did it for the cool sweatshirts participants earned. And they had previously been very cool. Problem was, Rebecca raced in the year when we only got tshirts. I remember she was so disappointed. Here she is, modeling the very finest clothing for yachtswomen during Covid.

Hi,

When I was trying to readjust the settings of my autopilot I got a bit nauseous, fortunately that went away after looking at the horizon for a bit.

Fun fact: My boat lost a bit of oil since I had not pushed in the dipstick all the way after checking. Fortunately it got absorbed by the mats that I put under the engine and did not even make it into the bilge. Even better: there was still enough left in the engine...

I would be curious how the wave action felt on other boats, especially Tortuga, since I hear that the W32 are quite comfortable?

Cheers

Jan
    Last edited by hijan1; 05-14-2023 at 03:01 PM.