Thread: How to Ramp Launch a Moore 24 (and retrieve)

Default How to Ramp Launch a Moore 24 (and retrieve)

Many years of dry sailing on a trailer with a hoist does not give the information I need.

The Moore 24’s have been ramp launched at places like Columbia River and Huntington Lake. I plan to go the the Nationals at Huntington Lake on 30 June to 3 July to watch and learn in person. The Moore 24 will not be towed along at that time.

There are details and preparation to make the launch and retrieve easy and safe. Please provide as many details as possible.

The Moore 24 keel has be be in water deep enough to float. A removable trailer tongue extension seems to take care of getting the trailer deep, while keeping the tow vehicle dry. Some of this is a geometric problem with the slope of the launch ramp, and the distance to keel floating status. Launching is easier than retrieval.

For retrieval, trailer guides that locate the keel properly on the trailer are planned ( currently absent). The guides need to be high enough be effective, maybe a foot or so below hull.

I remember reading that someone used the boat winches to pull the trailer up to the floating boat. That seems to care of boat and trailer shifting while the tow vehicle begin pulling the two out of the water. There needs to be lines to position everything since shifting the boat on trailer while out of the water is difficult.

How many people are needed to carry out this operation?

Thanks for comments or suggestions.

Ants

Dry sailing using a hoist was an easy handled singlehandedly. The Mair 28 sailboat was also quite easy with its lifting keel. The local sailing, Lake Isabella, has various launch ramps that will be scouted for slope and depth. And yes, there are centerboard boats available, just trying to find a solution for the fixed keel.
    Last edited by AntsUiga; 05-22-2023 at 11:06 AM. Reason: I got knuckles rapped for poor verb usage.

Hey Ants, 2 thoughts on trailer launching/unlaunching: 1) a hitch extension, which is heavy, awkward, and possibly the wrong length can be easily substituted for with a length of line from the truck hitch to the trailer tongue. 2) the tongue jack and wheel on the trailer has to be solid as many launch ramps have bumps or rocks underwater to damage the jack. 3) take a swim mask to check out the underwater portion of your launch/unlaunch production. All ramps are different, and at different angles.