Thread: Bristol 29 for Transpac?

Default Bristol 29 for Transpac?

Thinking about a Bristol 29 for the 2010 or 2012 transpac, anybody think this is a bad or good idea?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fullkeel View Post
    Thinking about a Bristol 29 for the 2010 or 2012 transpac, anybody think this is a bad or good idea?

Thanks.
    What is your sailing experience, on what kind of boats. And what is your goal in doing the TransPac? If you're used to ULDB planing boats and what to be first to finish, the Brisol 29 design would not leap to the fore.

If you're accustomed to smaller full keel boats (unless you go for the centerboard option), then the Brisol looks interesting.

A Bristol 27 did the race in 1988, Barbara took a Bristol 34 over in 2004 & 2008. You might check in with Barbara to see what she thought of the boats.

- rob/beetle

Hi Rob,

The experience I have, and its not a lot, has been on the lighter Santana’s and the heavier Bristol 27. I like the way the Bristol’s feel really solid. Not interested in being super competitive in terms of speed, just thinking about a solid, safe boat that is comfortable on the ocean without being to much of a tank.

Are there other full keel or cutaway full keel boats that have regularly sailed in the race?

Thanks. Chase

Default Boats that have competed in the SSS TransPac

You can find a link to the list of boats that have competed in the SSS Singlehanded Transpac from the first race in 1978 through the fleet of 2006 on this page:
    http://www.sfbaysss.org/TransPac/tra...008_index.html

The list needs to be updated to include the boats that competed in the 2008 race, but you can find the list of those boats on the same page.

Synthia/Eyrie
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

.................Are there other full keel or cutaway full keel boats that have regularly sailed in the race? ..................

Chase:

My old boat is a full keel cutaway fore-foot configuration. I competed in the '02, '04 & '08 races.

It's all good fun!!!

Jim/Haulback