Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Staying in Hanalei Bay and the return trip

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Thomas View Post
    I have gotten two quotes from Matson, for my Olson 30, shipping the trailer out empty from Oakland and the boat back on it, $8200 from Oahu and $10400 from Kauai. They ship the trailer for free, and measure only the boat not the mast as long as it is on the deck. This is up from about $5000 for an olson 30 four years ago. I was planning on hauling the boat out at the ramp near the Matson terminal in Nawiliwili Harbor at the yacht club. I have a float on capable trailer and we carry our own gin pole. Another O30 told me the delivery upwind from Kauai to Oahu nearly did him in and ruined his spirit on the trip. Given the high cost of getting my "cheap" boat back I am looking into selling it out there or buying one on the coast and selling/dumping it in the islands to save on shipping from the midwest and back. When I visited the Nawiliwili Yacht Club two years ago I noted that 3 of their fleet were Olson 30s that looked to have been sailed out there and "left behind"

Eric Thomas
    Polar Bear
    Lake Superior
    On top of that $8,200 add the assorted costs of straps, etc and the apparent fact that even though you have a quote in hand, that will change when you actually get there. At least, that's what I've heard from a number of people who have done it. You'll also have to pay yard bills for stepping and unstepping the mast, if you can't do it by hand. I dunno, can three guys step and unstep an O30 mast? Figure on another few hundred dollars for that.

You can buy an Olson 30, bare-bones here for about $10-12K. At some point you have to wonder if it makes sense to ship the thing back at all. I know that I'm not shipping Ankle Biter (santa cruz 27) back. It'd cost $6,000 or more plus the cost of the haulout to get her on the trailer in Honolulu and the expense of making my trailer road-worthy. By the time I'm done with all that I'll be up to $7200 or more and I can buy a decent Santa Cruz 27 here in the SF Bay area for very little more than that. I can take off most of the pricey gear like the windvane and the SSB, and the kite, package all that up and ship it back for under $150. If I sell the Santa Cruz in Hawaii for $5,000, which would be a good deal for someone over there, then I'm $5,000 ahead towards the "next boat" whatever that will be.

For an SC 27 or other small, very-depreciated design it simply doesn't make financial sense any more to ship the boat back, unless you have a strong emotional attachment to the boat.

I know that George McKay is thinking along the same lines for "Velocious", his SC 27 that he bought from CW Grigg.
    Last edited by AlanH; 12-14-2007 at 12:54 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Synthia, Did you ship your boat back?

Eric Thomas

Yes, I've shipped back twice (first time after the 2004 DH Pac Cup). Ain't cheap. We did almost everything we could to keep the costs down, so we didn't just drive up to Keehi Marine in Oahu and toss them the keys. We decommissioned the boat to the point that all they had to do was attach a strap to the rig (keel stepped), pull rig, place straps under the boat, pull boat, position boat on trailer, position mast on top of boat. So 1.5 hrs max. Same thing in CA. The yard pulled the boat off the trailer and put it in stands. They prepped the bottom but we painted, then they splashed and stepped the rig. We hooked everything back together. We could have saved some by renting a truck in HI to do the 4 mile trip between the boat yard and Matson but we didn't want to deal with the bureaucracy of road permits and other hidden haole fees. Also, Matson was very unreliable with their delivery dates so we wanted to enjoy or stay in HI instead of spending the whole time searching the Matson lot for our trailer that wasn't there.

Here's a break down in the costs for my 28' X 9.75' X 5700 lbs boat on a twin axle trailer:
    Matson: $5696 ($4782 in '04)
    shipping insurance: $313 ($284 in '04)
    decommission boat: $719 ($740 in '04)
    trucking company in HI: $442 ($361 in '04)
    recommission boat: $1470 ($1674 in '04) yard painted bottom in '04

I would make the same choice to ship back if it was my first time around. After the months (yrs?) of getting ready for the race, I wanted to be able to spend some time in HI decompressing and not feel completely tied up with the return details. If there is a next time, I'll sail back.

Synthia/Eyrie
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Portland, Oregon - Originally Hanalei, Hawaii

John,

After growing up and living in Hanalei for 18 years, I can say that tons of chain isn't necessary. I have set anchor over 1000 times on the North Shore of Kauai in boats up to 60 feet. We always prefered a Fortress anchor (light weight) and about 300 feet of rode (250-275ft of braided nylon) and (25-50ft of chain). Unless you have a very heavy cruiser I don't think a CQR type of anchor is necessary as the bottom is all sand. Lay out your typical 7:1 scope in about 25ft of water and you will be set - at least through August - after that plan on leaving by September. The best anchorage is between the pier and "Pavillions" - about a mile west of the pier - if you end up in water deeper than 30 ft., you will find a lot more surge.

Back in the late eightees and early ninetees, I use to leave my Zodiac moored in the river and there was no such thing as theft. However, things have changed, even on the garden island. I would probably say that pulling your dinghy up at the Pavillion in sight of the lifeguard tower would be best. Hide your oars (bury them in the sand under the dinghy) and if you have a motor, use a fulton motor lock ($27) and then take your kill lanyard with you. Sure anything can be stolen including your boat moored in the bay, but not likely as long as you make it a challege to take.

I have always enjoyed watching everyone complete the race while growing up - even met John Guzwell when I was 14 while single handing m Hobie Cat. I look forward to participating in the race in the next few years. Good luck and have fun!

P.S. Your first stop in Hanalei should be the Hanalei Gourmet for a cold Steinlager beer - from Pavillions you can walk about half a mile up Aku rd. and find the old Hanalei School House. There lies the Hanalei Gourmet. Great food and drinks!

Take care,
    Adam

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the reply. I do have a heavy cruiser (Valiant 40) and the chain and CQR are already in place and I don't think they will affect how I place in the race. :-) Too bad about the theft situation, but will plan to either row or swim ashore and take the dinghy with me on the top of the car. Thanks also for the anchoring tips and the Hanalei Gourmet suggestion. I have stayed in Princeville 3 or 4 times and really like Hanalei and Haena. I know the old school house, but have never been to the Hanalei Gourmet.

Guess you live in Kauai? If so, then for you to race, you have to do the "return trip" first. Do it sooner rather than later. Time flies.......... Stop by and say hi if you see me there. Boat name is Dream Chaser. We can chat over a Steinlager.

John

Default Princeville Resort

The Princeville Resort has offered a discount on their rooms to all TransPac racers, families, guest, relatives, or anyone that simply mentions the TransPac. They are going through a remodel, to what extent I do not know, but have drastically reduced the room rates from $565/night to $150/night. There are some additional fees and taxes, of course.

I have brochures and fliers with all the details and I will bring them to the seminars. Or you can call the Princeville Resort at 1-800-826-1260 and request a room in the TransPac block.

BTW, the resort will be hosting our trophy dinner.

Synthia
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

In July, dinghy access to the sandy beach at the Princeville Resort is good. It does require about 1/8 mile transit from the anchorage, across the mouth of the Hanalei River, and through some coral shoals. All of this is little problem, and in fact pleasureable. In the last 50 yards, at low tide, there can be some problem for an outboard in the shoals, so bring paddles or oars.

There are two nice Resort swimming pools just up from the beach. Also, kayaks and other watercraft to rent. I have drilled holes in the blades of my dinghy oars and lock them to the Avon with a length of wire anytime I'm on the beach. From the upper tier of the Princeville Resort, the entire anchorage, Finish Line, and Bali Hai can be surveyed. If there is a nicer view of sunset, I haven't found it. Green Flash available Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays.

Default another race, after the race there, but before the race back

Word from the commodore of the Nawiliwili Yacht Club:

A number of boats from NYC will be sailing from Kauai to Oahu on the evening of Tuesday, August 5, 2008 to participate in the Kauai Channel Race that will start on Friday morning, August 8. Race entry includes two nights of mooring at both Ko Olina and Nawiliwili harbors. The race is from Ko Olina, Oahu to NYC. Details of the Kauai Channel Race will be posted at www.kauaichannelrace.com. This is a fun race with a great party at the NYC clubhouse on Saturday, August 9th and certainly your TransPac boats are welcome to participate.

- Dick Olsen

Hmmm, perhaps we can start a new trophy for the "Iron Man Triathlon", if racing to Kauai just isn't challenging enough, there's more! First, race to Kauai, party, bash upwind to Oahu for 20-30 hours, party, race back to Kauai, party, race home, party. Now that's livin!

Eyrie
    ~ Blues Image

Default Princeville Resort extended stay

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    The Princeville Resort has offered a discount on their rooms to all TransPac racers, families, guest, relatives, or anyone that simply mentions the TransPac. They are going through a remodel, to what extent I do not know, but have drastically reduced the room rates from $565/night to $150/night. There are some additional fees and taxes, of course.

I have brochures and fliers with all the details and I will bring them to the seminars. Or you can call the Princeville Resort at 1-800-826-1260 and request a room in the TransPac block.

BTW, the resort will be hosting our trophy dinner.

Synthia
    If anyone wishes to extend your stay at the Princeville Resort, you need to contact Mary Hall directly 808-826-2287 to see if she can extend your stay at the $150 per night rate. Case by case depending on their occupancy.

Also, the resort has decided to delay their remodel until September, so no dust during our stay.

Synthia/Eyrie
    ~ Blues Image

If you have not made lodging arrangements in Hanalei yet, the Princeville Resort still has rooms to offer at their discounted rate and they have given us a web site to make reservations. You can find the link on the TransPac web site:
    http://www.sfbaysss.org/TransPac/tra...008_index.html

Synthia / Eyrie
    ~ Blues Image