Thread: Class on building laminate composite structure (a rudder)

Default Class on building laminate composite structure (a rudder)

Is there any interest in having a semi-organized class on how to build a simple laminate composite structure (e.g., an emergency rudder)?

We do have people in the SSS that have enormous talent in this regard, and I'm not one of them - I just have a fair bit of experience in various ways to do this and have been shown and learned what some of the better methods are. So far I have built 5 different rudders and would be happy to go through the process and steps so you can make your own laminate structure. This would be a lab class, we would need to purchase materials and make a mess, and when it's all done (4-6 hours), each person would have built a reasonably decent composite structure of glass on foam.

I would not get into vacuum bagging techniques, as most of us do not have access to a vacuum pump.

Who would want to do this? I will guestimate that materials costs are on the order of $35/person to shape and laminate a 12" x 18" section of a rudder, and I would need to scrounge up a space to run the class. I have several people in mind that could serve as instructors/tutors, and I would have to ask after their availability.

- rob/beetle

I'd be interested, Rob. I already have my e-rudder but I don't know much about doing fiberglass, so this would be good. Could it include some general information about materials and different kinds of fiberglass repairs, before diving into the rudder project?

Hi Bob -

I imagine so, though I'm not certain exactly what you're thinking of. There are a variety of cloths to choose from (weaves, unidirectionals, stitched, mat) to choose from in various material (S-glass, E-glass, carbon, kevlar, basic 10oz boat cloth), and the basic resins - polyester, vinylester, epoxy. One could get into substrates and coring materials - wood, divinycel (and other foams), corecell. Another area is the fairing compounds and which ones are better for different purposes. Each has unique properties and reasons they might (or might not) be used.

The useful things I was thinking of are how to select and apply materials with various tools - rollers, hard rollers, squeeges, brushes, temperature, mixing, fairing, sanding, that sort of thing.

What are you thinking of as regards specific repairs? More along the lines of running repairs on board if glass fails? I was thinking along the lines of trying to demonstrate professionally done composite work such that it was straight forward and understood so folks wouldn't be put off by the idea of building a structurally solid rudder. What ideas do you have that might be more interesting?

- rob/beetle

Hey Beetle,

I'd be interested in attending. Just wondering if it would be possible to make garments?

Synthia
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

I'd also be interested in attending a fiberglas/laminate class.

Thanks,
    Rich

I have an interest.

Brian

Default Laminate Class

Sign me up.

Bill Merrick

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Hey Beetle,

I'd be interested in attending. Just wondering if it would be possible to make garments?

Synthia
    Synthia has a new job as a member of the chorus for the East Bay Opera's production of Die Valkyrie and wants to make a carbon fiber breastplate for her stage costume. Those old tin ones are hot and heavy, don't you know? I mean, have you ever tried to hold a spear and sing with one of those things on?..............much less play the ukelele.

Sorry....brief moment of levity here. We now return you........
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Default Still planning?

Hey Rob,

Did you already do this class? I would be interested...

Thanks,

Dirk - Xpression