Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Race Permites for Ocean Races

Greg, all I'm saying is: VTS wants to hear from RC periodically during the race. This call will be far more useful to VTS if RC can tell them something about where the fleet is. Therefore, what I propose is that some racers - it doesn't have to be everyone - try phoning in during the race, when they're not too busy. We may learn something about cell coverage, and we may be able to get some information to VTS that they would like to have.

This isn't a roll call. Nobody's going to push the panic button if somebody doesn't phone. The idea is just to push information around. Actually it might be more efficient for a racer to call VTS directly and advise them of where the bulk of the fleet is; I did this myself a couple of years ago. We can talk to them a long way out on channel 12.

Forget the ziplock bag if you like; that idea came from the YRA ocean equipment requirements that we've already thrown out.

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Alan, the 4-hour sched is for RC to call in to VTS, not a roll call of the racers.
    Max
    Ah, gotcha. Big difference.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Thumbs down USCG delays in issuing permits

Quote Originally Posted by Ergo View Post
    Greetings,

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions regarding this topic. We'll keep you up to date with information as it becomes available.

Bill Merrick
    SSS Commodore
    I certainly agree with the end objective, that we should be safe out there-especially single handers and short handed racers. I also agree that the better information that USCG has before they go looking for us, the faster they will get to us...But, waiting to issue a permit until three days or fewer to the regatta is irresponsible in my opinion. The regulations require US to apply no less than 135 days prior to the event and the USCG MUST give reasons for denial of any application-which should not be a "we'll wait and see what you give us at the last minute".

I have written to my congresscritter complaining about the USCG high handedness. Doubt it will do any good, but it made me feel better.
    Respectfully, Thom

SeaRail 19, SriRacha

My son and I are sailing down to Pillar Point Harbor on Saturday.

Since it's on our way, we plan to pass between the GGYC and its "X" buoy, and will do so as close to 0945 as possible (and not before). On our way we may see some other sailboats. This may prompt us to check our sail trim and sail the boat a bit more aggressively. On the way, if somebody needs help out there we'll respond, as we would hope they would do for us.

Approaching Pillar Point Harbor I'll note the time that G "3" bears zero degrees magnetic, and I'll share that information with anyone who is interested. We plan to have a nice dinner and beer with some friends at the HMBYC after we arrive.

While I greatly appreciate the efforts of those who may be on the GGYC's race deck when we sail by, we will be sailing down to Pillar Point whether or not they are there. Anyone care to join us?

Smile Bob, that is TOO Funny

Sarcasm doesn't often translate well in emails...but this one was great.
    Respectfully, Thom

SeaRail 19, SriRacha

Perhaps I'm being a bit sarcastic but I'm mostly trying to make a point.

The same arrangement would work just fine for our biennial "performance cruise" to Kauai, and this is what the Coast Guard needs to understand. If they want to have some control they need to be reasonable. So far I think they have been but as your post points out, their handling of the permit issue is really borderline.

The last time I checked, U.S. ports were not blockaded to private boating activity.
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-24-2009 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    The last time I checked, U.S. ports were not blockaded to private boating activity.
    But it's not beyond the realm of possibility.