View Poll Results: Would getting a professional rigging inspection be part of your SHTP preparations?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 16.67%
  • No (I would inspect the rig myself)

5 83.33%

Thread: Rigging Inspections

Default Rigging Inspections

As promised, here is the poll about rigging inspections. As with the other polls, this is aimed at those who are seriously thinking about racing in the Singlehanded Transpac.

In the Race Rules and Conditions for the 2010 SHTP, we're considering requiring a rigging inspection by a professional rigger. No doubt most of you are self-inspecting your rigs, especially if you are racing with SSS in the ocean (or OYRA, etc.) But some aren't, and most would not see everything a rigger would.

What are your thoughts on this possible requirement?

(Also, I rewrote the poll about Surveys - would you mind popping over there and taking a look? Thanks!)
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-25-2009 at 11:45 PM.

Default Self Inspection of Rig

I understand why you are concerned about rig saftey. When it comes to inspection though I have a problem with paying a rigger to inspect my rig when I am more than qualified to inspect my own. I do not feel that having a certificate makes you anymore qualified. Rod Rigging requires die pen inspection. My local surveyor has never done this however having built seals for the nuclear industry I have years of experience. Where is the board going with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Warriors Wish View Post
    Where is the board going with this?
    The committee incorporated it in Rule 2.04[g].

There have been 3 or 4 boats dismasted in recent years during the race, and a couple of others who came close. Consultation with local riggers revealed that their inspections are much more thorough than I realized and the cost for an inspection is reasonable. We are not asking for a written report (which if required could add considerable cost) - we're asking for evidence (such as a paid invoice) that a professional rigging inspection was done within 24 months of the race's start.

My last boat had rod rigging so I'm familiar with the issues. Without adding to the rule but just expressing my opinion, if a skipper provided evidence to the rigger that the rod was less than ten years old, I would not require that the rigger die-pen it. This is because our local surveyors believe that ten years is a reasonable life for rod.

I had the rig out this spring/summer and re-fitted with an extra set of spreaders and, of course another pair of shrouds. Shroud angles opened up considerably throughout the rig, from 9 degrees originally, to 15.

No professional rigger was involved - it was all pretty simple, at least for my set-up - basic geometery, some stainless fabrication and a handful of norseman terminals. Some new wire. No welding done on the tube.

If I have to hire someone to give it the good housekeeping seal of approval, I guess that will have to be simply considered part of the buy-in, and I will do it without complaint.

But it seems a bit much, really!!

Jim/Haulback

Default Rig Inspections

We are not asking for a written report (which if required could add considerable cost) - we're asking for evidence (such as a paid invoice) that a professional rigging inspection was done within 24 months of the race's start.
    There are NO qualifications or certifications for being a rigger so basically anyone with a business card qualifies. If you are not familiar with inspecting your rigging, know the age, etc. I think getting a pro to go through the rig is a good idea, but I don't know if it's a good requirement.