Thread: Raymarine Compass

Default Raymarine Compass

In my continuing effort to make my Raymarine autopilots bomb proof, I recently installed a second fluxgate heading sensor ("FHS") and wired it to the backup 4000+ control head. I also replaced the FHS that failed last Summer, which was wired to the S1G computer.

For both FHS's, I left extra wire and routed it so that I can switch FHS's if one of them ever goes whacko again. I also installed spade connectors in the five fine wires from each FHS to make switching them easier/faster.

Which brings me to my question. I used Ancor's "fully insulated" nylon spade connectors for 22-18 wire and dutifully put them together with dabs of dielectric grease. But I can't pull the suckers apart, which sort of defeats the purpose of having them. I pried, twisted, swore, etc. and they will not budge. I can't use the "forklift mechanic" approach since the wires are so fine.

What SHOULD I have used? I don't want to use screw terminal blocks because both sets of leads need to be portable, and I want to be able to switch FHS's quickly.

Alternatively, is there some kind of tool I can keep on board (besides the skipper) to pull them apart, or some trick to it?
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-08-2009 at 05:35 PM.

if you want quick change-over, why not use a 5 pole double throw toggle switch? (or two switches to make up a 5-wire double throw system). That would make it a simple flip of the switch to point a compass at either autopilot.

Here's something similiar I found with a brief search, a 6 pole push-button switch, probably not what you want, but this will give you an idea:
    http://www.rapidonline.com/netalogue/specs/78-0500e.pdf

Wiring harness quick disonnects that handle multiple wires in one plug/jack using a mechanical latch are faster to use than spade terminals and don't stress the wires when making/breaking the connection. Fry's carries them, you might be able to find some with gold terminals to minimize corrosion problems.

- rob

Quote Originally Posted by tiger beetle View Post
    if you want quick change-over, why not use a 5 pole double throw toggle switch? (or two switches to make up a 5-wire double throw system). That would make it a simple flip of the switch to point a compass at either autopilot.
    Since I'd like either compass available to either autopilot, doing it with switches could get complicated.

Wiring harness quick disonnects that handle multiple wires in one plug/jack using a mechanical latch are faster to use than spade terminals and don't stress the wires when making/breaking the connection. Fry's carries them, you might be able to find some with gold terminals to minimize corrosion problems.
    That sounds like a good approach. Fry's is close by - I'll go take a look. Thanks Rob.

Smile

Bob,

Aquasignal makes a "waterproof" plug connector for 6 conductors that we often use for those small Raymarine wires.

PS most of my transpac gear is on the Olson weatherly racing against Don Grey in the Bermuda race. Weatherly works for me at the marina.

ET

Default Deans Plugs

Bob, We use Deans Plugs for wiring remote control airplanes where wires are small. Go to <www.wsdeans.com> There's also a U-Tube video about soldering them. They're available at model shops. One good thing about them is the + is vertical and the - is horizontal, so you can't connect them wrong. They plug together securely, but are easy to disconnect. I use them in place of an on/off switch between the battery and motor/receiver, for instance.
    Pat "NANCY"

Quote Originally Posted by P. Broderick - Elaine View Post
    . . . One good thing about them is the + is vertical and the - is horizontal, so you can't connect them wrong.
    Ah, you know me! Thanks Pat - I'll check those out.

Eric (great to hear from you) - All I see online from Aquasignal is the waterproof plug used to connect wires at the mast base - it is five conductors (what I need) but looks pretty big and expensive. Do you have a part number or a link? Speaking of wires at mast bases, thanks again for doing that part of my decommissioning on that humid day at the Ala Wai yard. Best Regards to the Polar Bear team.

Default Electronic deviation correction

Summary: Same model electronic compass installed in the same location, but 23 degrees of deviation on the new one vs. 8 degrees on the old one. I didn't move any compass-affecting equipment in the boat. Would you send the compass back for exchange or move it to another location and try again?

Detail: Just before the HMB "race" I swung the two new Raymarine compasses (fluxgate heading sensors). I had moved the backup compass (connected to the backup A/P) about a foot, and after doing my slow circles it came back with only two degrees of deviation - cool! I corrected the head's reading per GPS track and a couple of charted points to confirm - all good.

BUT - The primary compass (connected to the primary A/P) is in the same spot as the old primary but came back with 23 degrees of deviation. This far exceeds the 15 degree maximum suggested in the manual. When I swung the old compass, installed in the same spot, I only saw 8 degrees of deviation. (That old compass died, hence the replacement.)

Replace (again) or move it?