Thread: Steering Seminar

Default Steering Seminar

** Monday, November 16th, back at the Oakland Yacht Club (Alameda) **

Usual times: 1900 to look at stuff, the presentation will start at 1930 sharp.

We're calling this simply the "Steering Seminar" since we'll be addressing multiple issues - Emergency Steering options, a bit on Vane Steering, and Autopilots:

1) Since half of the 2008 fleet used his emergency rudders, Hans Bernwall from Scanmar will present his M-Rud and SOS rudder options. Hans will also provide a Q&A time regarding vane steering, which many racers have used as either primary or backup self-steering for the SH TransPac. Hans has a long history supporting SH TransPac racers and is a great resource.

2) Greg Nelsen (Hi-Modulus) built my emergency rudder and has built them for others - he has agreed to discuss how to "roll your own."

3) During the 2008 race I had several issues with my Raymarine (electric) autopilots, so Rob suggested I spend some time talking about those. I have a belowdecks AP computer with gyro circuitry, cockpit-mounted drive units, a second system to which I can switch "on the fly," and a stand-alone tiller pilot as third-string backup. I've broken them about every way possible so I will offer some troubleshooting tips and suggest some spare autopilot parts to have on board.

If there is someone who has some tips about belowdecks drive units and more sophisticated systems (like B&G or NKE), please let me know - that's the piece we're missing at the moment.

Needless to say it wil be a full evening so please come early.

If you have questions, post them here or e-mail "SHTransPac@yahoo.com"
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-17-2009 at 08:23 AM.

I probably won't be there, but I built my own emergency rudder for the 2008 race. A large part of the job is shaping the foam for the rudder core.

and so...proceed to the following link.

http://www.flyingfoam.com/QuickOrderDetails.html

Look for the symmetrical foils on that page and remember, "thick is good". Their product is not expensive, it will make a dandy core as long as you lay on a good strong outer layer of glass, or go with carbon, and it will save you *hours* of time. They now offer tapered sections, which they didn't have two years ago. Heck, I might use this for the actual rudder on my new boat.

PS: you *must* use epoxy for the cores. Polyester resins will melt the foam.
    Last edited by AlanH; 11-10-2009 at 03:50 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Thanks to everyone who brought stuff and to all who participated. There was a good variety of gear and photos, Hans and Greg did a nice job and "a good time was had by all."

The speakerphone was hooked up but OYC's answering machine (in a locked office) appeared to be interfering with the system. I wasn't able to sort it out until the break and by then anyone trying to call in had given up. Sorry!

Please e-mail or post your feedback about getting together in December. It looks like it would be Sunday, December 13th at the Encinal Yacht Club guest docks in Alameda. Let's say 1100. Again, don't worry about the state of your boat - it's intended to see the new projects/gear on the boats, have the R/C look at how you're doing and make hopefully helpful suggestions.