Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fleet check-in idea

Read the next sentence Greg.

Alchera
    "I agree, though perhaps during the boat inspection the skipper should be required to demonstrate the use of the SSB - too many skippers obviously have not adequately tested or used the SSB prior to the race and then we find out that it doesn't work or that they don't know how to switch channels!"

Prior to last year's SHTP, someone set up SSB practice sessions that were very helpful...especially for a first-timer.
    Last edited by Sparky; 08-06-2009 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ergo View Post
    While I would like to get the 2012 race docs in hand, I suppose we should really get the 2010 docs done first. I'm looking for a new boat for 2012 and I guess that's become the "next" race in my head.

Bill Merrick
    How about having a meeting for the TransPac 2010 rules, similiar to what we did for the LongPac required equipment at Synthia's sail loft? I do not believe that the club needs to wait for a TransPac chair in order to publish the race rules, equipment requirements, etc.

- rob

I'd be open to that. In fact, to make this process more open I'll elaborate:

I have quite a few hours into the 2010 drafts, although substantive changes from 2008's rules are minor. With subsequent input from my informal polls on this board and comments I've received, I'd like to do one more edit and then I could send drafts out to the group (a morph'd LongPac safety committee?).

One comparison I made was to the 2002 rules (which Rob drafted). The only major change since then was the addition of storm sails, which really paid off in the 2004 race. I was pleasantly surprised how little has actually been added since 2002.

I'd especially welcome Rob's and Mark's input to close the loop on the communications/SSB/Roll-Call issue, which I believe comes down to how much burden we want to place on the volunteer comm boat(s). I think you two guys have the recent experience and technical knowledge to make good decisions on this thorny issue.

Anyway, I am not trying to be the R/C but for the benefit of those planning to race to Kauai in 2010, I really want to see the rules finished and published. I think it is up to the SSS board how they want to proceed though.

Frankly the NOR is the bigger issue at this moment. If you publish a NOR you need to be prepared to put on a race.

With the 2009 LP behind us I'm all for moving ahead with the 2010 TP docs with the exception of the NOR. When Bob is finished with his next draft, we'll set a date.

Bill Merrick

Default SSB check ins - alternate approach

Hello All,

Suppose an outside station, on a shore line somewhere or several shorelines could communicate well with the racers via SSB. Would a check in with a network of shore stations be appealing/acceptable to SHTP racers ?

Brian

It's appealing since it may not burden one of the racers with Comm Boat duties.

However, my recollection is that attempts to get a consistent signal to a shore station on either end of the course via SSB have not been successful. Yet in the two races I've done, nearly every boat made every SSB check-in with a Comm Boat out on the course. It seems there are too many sources of interference for a shore station, plus the quality of SSB signals varies so much within the fleet, especially as the boats get spread out.

Default Alternate check in method

There is a network today that works very well, nightly, over the exact same region. It is known as the seafarers net. They do a nightly roll call of vessels scattered across the pacific. They are quite successful at it. They have contribution stations on shore in California, Fiji, Hawaii, Australia, South America, and New Zealand. The net is run from Fiji most evenings.

http://www.pangolin.co.nz/yotreps/pacseanet.php
    See their nightly roll call

You could get around any "weak" signals as you do today. You have those that can copy on the water relay those positions.

The way this would work. Early in the race you would be speaking to a Hawaii station or Fijian station, or possibly a Washington station. Middle course region, probably Hawaii or Fiji, or possibly Washington. End course region probably California or Fiji. With a network of station copying signals and capturing position data your not likely to miss anything.

Thanks Brian, we'll stir that into the pot.

(Fluxgate problems seem to be solved - 2 degrees of deviation on one and 6 degrees on the other, before automatic correction. I can live with that.

Now I can switch A/P's "on the fly." The only part that's not redundant is the tiller itself (and presently the electrical source).

All dressed up and nowhere to go

Default flux gate

So wanted to tell you my experience in long pac with RayM ST5000 control head. In short, precisely the same symptoms you described to me. An offset of up to 40 deg would develop. Twice the AP went nuts.

Here is my theory:

These problems would always develop at night in foggy/damp condx where water would condense on the control head (and everything else on deck). Like clock work, it would fail around 1 am.

A fluxgate compass has to make some very sensitive measurements of analog voltage levels that come back from the fluxgate module. Moisture can be wicked into fiber glass panels via the fibers. Or condensation can occur on the surface of circuit boards. Both can cause a drop in resistance on/in the board between electrical connections. (I used to design precision instruments at Hewlett Packard).

The AP would start functioning again after I would set thecontrol head in the sun ( had to do this two days in a row) for about an hour.

I am certain the RM AP's are not properly designed for moisture. The boards are absorbing moisture and can take on a permanent offset or fail all together. I plan to take my RM unit apart and dry all elements then isolate the sensitive nodes with teflon offsets and see what happens.

bb