Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fleet check-in idea

Can anyone recommend a primer on this SSB mumbo jumbo? Either a website or a not-too-long book? Mark wrote "... show that it is operating as a simplex channel on upper sideband" which is worse than Greek to me since I know a little Greek.

The business about lining the bilge with copper foil makes about as much sense to me as killing a chicken and sprinkling its blood.

Thanks for any pointers ...
    Max

RobT and I met last night to hammer out the rest of the seminar schedule. Like last time, there will be a seminar on offshore communications where SSB's (among other things) will be discussed. When do you plan to install your radio?

FWIW, I'm not sure I know what Mark is talking about either, and I made every SSB check-in with a good signal. Also, you'll probably need some copper foil but you won't have to line the bilge with it. Do you have access to your keel bolts?

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    RobT and I met last night to hammer out the rest of the seminar schedule. Like last time, there will be a seminar on offshore communications where SSB's (among other things) will be discussed. When do you plan to install your radio?

FWIW, I'm not sure I know what Mark is talking about either, and I made every SSB check-in with a good signal. Also, you'll probably need some copper foil but you won't have to line the bilge with it. Do you have access to your keel bolts?
    Thanks Bob. I plan to install an SSB as soon as I have any money, which may not be in time for the 2010 race since I'm currently down to working 3-4 days a week.

Yes, I have access to my keel bolts and I understand that may be an option. But I like to know something about the theory behind what I'm doing rather than just following instructions.

Max

There are two or three reprinted articles that cover SSB's pretty well, which get handed out every time we have the seminars. I'll scan them and create a link so you can access them (now that I know how to do that). They've been duplicated/circulated so many times that they're probably "in the public domain" for copyright purposes.

I did my own installation from those articles and tips from this board. There are just a couple of things you need from outside sources (other than the radio and tuner). It's not a bad project really, and very gratifying when you turn it on for the first time and hear people chatting from all over the Western Hemisphere. Knowing you have a good transmitted signal is harder, but it sounds like John H has a setup to help test that out (thanks John).

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    FWIW, I'm not sure I know what Mark is talking about either
    To understand Mark's comment it's helpful to understand that SSB radio operates on the sideband of a given frequency, not on the carrier frequency. As a result you can squeeze more 'bands' into a given channel space by utilizing upper or lower sideband, rather than the entire band; the radio also consumes less electrical power by only broadcasting half of the signal. That's why the radio is called 'Single Side Band' - it operates on one side of the band (and yes, you can choose which side to operate on).

So it's helpful to know, for a given frequency you wish to communicate on, are you going to operate on upper sideband, or lower sideband? There are conventions in place as to which frequencies will operate on which sideband - those are the conventions that made it possible for you to use the radio without knowing about this stuff, and you got lucky.

As regards simplex: simplex means that you talk and listen on the same frequency, like a VHF radio does. SSB radios also support the concept of duplex - you may talk on one frequency and listen on another frequency, much like a telephone works. Again there are conventions regarding SSB numbered channels that assign the channel as duplex or simplex. Those conventions, and the fact that somebody set up the radio's internal channel memory, let you use the radio withing knowing this, and you got lucky.

Upshot: it's helpful to have at least rudimentary knowledge regarding the equipment you have, or else you can wind up being unable to use the radio if you don't realize that you can be on the wrong sideband, or have punched up one half of a simplex channel frequency without realizing that there's a second half you also need to set. If you don't even know such a thing is possible you would never think to look for the problem And that's definitely no fun on your own 800 miles offshore.

- rob/beetle

My ICOM-M802 was programmed well enough "out-of-the-box" that I was able to go to the check-in frequencies, hit the "Tune" button (for the automatic tuner to adjust the antenna) and transmit/receive fine. Since I installed it early and learned how to use the functions I needed, I wouldn't say I just got lucky.

You would need to be more careful if you bought a used SSB and tuner off of E-Bay, Craigslist, etc. It would be worth it to have Don Melcher (HF Radio Onboard) or similar person test the radio and do any possible/necessary programming to use it sucessfully during the race.

I'll take a risk and say that this is probably sufficient for our race (Rob and others may not agree). If you are planning to spend more time offshore cruising, etc. then a more detailed understanding of the radio's operation would be necessary.
    Last edited by BobJ; 09-17-2009 at 02:08 PM.

Max,

I know that time is short, but you might consider contacting a local Ham radio club and see if they offer classes in preparation for taking the Ham license exam. If the instructors are good you will learn a lot about radios and related jargon. You will also get a ham license so that you can use the ham frequencies if your radio is up to it.

Paul Woodward
    s/v Hesperus

Default 2012 Fleet Checkin Ideas

It is probably a little bit late for 2010, but I think future races should think about technology that is a couple years old already.

1) Use of DSC-MMSI via SSB and/or VHF. This would allow one button try and retry of broadcast of position information to one or more known base stations or comm boats. This is much simpler and more reliable than hand tuning. Data would be sent in a digital burst. The GPS information can and should be automatically wired to the radio. The downside is the requirement of a DSC- ready radio. Major models in the last couple of years have this.

2) Use of a satellite tracker such as SPOT messenger service. This is fairly cheap - $150 for a years service. Rates could be negotiated for a fleet.

Cheers,
    -jak

As to SPOT messenger, it works great if we all want to turn around about two thirds of the way to HI cause it stops working about there according to their maps and my experience with it last year. Great for letting friends and family know where you are coastal cruising however.

John
    Dream Chaser

Default Spot vs. Transponders

I have the 25 satellite transponders that were used for the LongPac and EYC Coastal Cup in 2009.

I believe we are still planning on using these in the TransPac to test the technology and make the best use of the SSS investment depending on the costs and the interest of the racers.

The cost of operating these is $20/year + transmission costs (.10/ping) and they use the same GlobalStar satellite network as the SPOT. We have not yet made a determination of costs for using these in the TranPac since there is a cost associated with setting up the maps and database for the race.

We are interested in how well the SPOT and other GlobalStar land based satellite technologies work out to Hawaii. The technology is improving but, for our application, is still in an experimental phase. Your experience with the SPOT out to Hawaii is relevant. I believe Ruben also had some strange experiences with the SPOT and relatives wanting to know where he was when it wasn't working.

I would not rely on satellite transponders as the mechanism for fleet checkin considering our experience with the LongPac this year but it would be a good way for people to follow the race online at least 3/4 of the way.

Matt