Thread: LongPac Qualifier for 2010 SH TransPac?

Default LongPac Qualifier for 2010 SH TransPac?

At the LongPac skippers' meeting, several of you raised your hands that you are also planning to enter next Summer's Singlehanded TransPac. (Cool!)

If you are planning to use this LongPac as your SHTP "Qualifying Cruise," please note that you need to complete a Qualifier Log to submit with your SHTP entry next year. The form for the Qualifier Log is here (scroll to page 2):

http://www.sfbaysss.org/TransPac/tra..._Qualifier.pdf

This form was for SHTP2008 but will be fine for next year's race.

I made my log entries every four hours and it nicely filled out one page. I submitted it along with my chart, showing my plotted fixes.

If you have any questions give me a shout.

Bob, I'm assuming that I can keep a log in a standard hardbound logbook and submit photocopies of the relevant pages. Is that a fair statement?

At the risk of sounding like the R/C (which I'm not) . . .

In the past the rule about the Qualifying Cruise included this sentence: "As evidence of the qualifying cruise, the entrant must submit a log on the form provided by the Race Committee."

My opinion is that if the entries in your vessel's log include at least all of the same information as the form asks for, that would be fine. I know that you know how to keep a proper log - in this day-and-age of GPS navigation, many skippers do not.

All should note: There is a consensus that the Qualifying Cruise will need to have been completed within 36 months of the race's starting date. This would be a new requirement if it ends up in the final RR&C's.

Also note that to use 2009 LongPac as a SHTP Qualifying Cruise, you need to race LongPac singlehanded and complete it (sail 400 miles and get at least 100 miles offshore). For the full rule, see the thread on the 2010 SHTP sub-board.
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-21-2009 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    All should note: There is a consensus that the Qualifying Cruise will need to have been completed within 36 months of the race's starting date. This would be a new requirement if it ends up in the final RR&C's.
    Interesting... So completing a prior SSS transPac does not qualify for going again?

What's the logic behind the proposed change?

- rob

The last SHTP would qualify.

I'll reply more completely by starting a "Qualifying Cruise" thread on the SHTP2010 board, so this one can stay focused on this year's LongPac.