Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Qualifying Cruise

Default Qualifying Cruise

From a question on the 2009 LongPac sub-board - the SHTP Qualifying Cruise shall be:

1) Made in the entered yacht

2) Not be less than 400 miles

3) Made entirely under sail

4) Non-stop

5) Singlehanded

6) May be between two ports or start/finish at the same port, provided one turning point is at least 100 miles offshore

7) For a multihull, at least one-half shall be downwind (could one hull just be pointed the other way?)

8) Completed within ? months of the Race's starting date (6/19/2010)

Regarding Item 8, since equipment wears out and even a skipper's physical condition can change, there needed to be a time frame added to the rule, i.e. if a skipper/boat combination has not been offshore in 15 years, that would not be acceptable. The question then becomes "How long ago can the Qualifying Cruise have been completed?" We're working on this (@ 8/26/09). Right now it looks like the last two SHTP's (2006 or 2008) or if completed singlehanded, either of the last two LongPac's (2007 or 2009) will count. Other qualifiers will need to have been completed within 24 months of 6/19/2010.
    Last edited by BobJ; 08-26-2009 at 08:23 PM.

Bob, Mr. Not Race Chair,

May I suggest that the recency requirement be set at 37 or 38 months? If the intent is that the last-but-one LongPac is recent enough, it could still fall just outside 36 months depending on the fluctuations of race dates.

Max

Bob, I wish he were the Race Chair,

I like Max's suggestion - 38 months.

Bill Merrick

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    2) Not be less than 400 miles
    Wasn't the distance 300nm in the past?

The earliest rules we have on the web site are from the 1996 SHTP. They state the qualifier had to be at least 400 miles.

They also state that two celestial navigation "shots" need to have been taken during the qualifying cruise. Hmm . . .

Default Nooners and LORAN

Hmmm, indeed. Yes a sextant was required, along with tables, plotting tools, and a "cheat sheet" on how to use everything. Loran C didn't bridge the distance to Hawaii and GPS as we know it was somewhere over the horizon (as was Hawaii), so the LongPac "proved" one could navigate by the stars (or sun). I still have my plotting sheets. One places me somewhere off S. California and the other sojourning in the San Jan Islands. We'll be taking FOUR gps units on the LongPac this time - and I'm bringing the sextant to see if my nooners have improved in 20 years. Pat B.

I respectfully suggest that the rule be changed so that a completed SHTP can be used as the qualifier for the next two SHTPs. So, for example, a skipper and boat that completed the 2008 SHTP could use that as the qualifier for the 2012 SHTP but not beyond. Also, as a member of the Pacific Singlehanded Sailing Association (out of So. Cal.), I'd like to remind people that the PSSA's Guadalupe Island race can be used as a qualifier for the SHTP.

- Tom Kirschbaum, Feral

Yes, that's the way I'm leaning Tom (for purposes of the draft RR&C's). We have other means of determining whether a boat and its equipment have been maintained in the interim, and past RR&C's have allowed the R/C to refuse an entry due to other concerns.

As to Pat's nooners, what can I say except be glad this is the kinder, gentler sailing board . . .

Howsomeever about navigation in the SHTP - It was mildly distressing that the 2008 R/C was unable to award the Navigators trophy after the race. I believe there was worthy (not solely GPS) navigation going on during the race - a couple of skippers made reference to their plotting sheets, etc. But they did not want to nominate themselves for the award.

My opinion is that good seamanship is not recognized enough, yet it is at the core of SSS's stated purposes. So I'd like to raise the visibility of the Navigators award and encourage SHTP participants to aspire to winning it by doing some quality paper chart-based (and/or celestial) navigation during the race and submitting it for the Navigators award.

The trophy is very nice, by the way.

Default SHTP Qualifier Cruise

Bob,
    I understand the intent of the "new" qualifier (proposed?) rule however I think it may be a bit onerous. I completed the qualifier from San Diego past Guadalupe Is. and back in March 2002 (very nasty) and then the 2002 SHTP, followed by the 2006 SHTP. Since then I spent the 2 winters in Mexico (2007-8 and 2008-9). After both I single-handed from Manzanillo back to San Diego. I was planning to do the 2010 SHTP after another winter in Mexico. Do I need to do another "qualifier" ? Perhaps a successful SHTP within 48 months would be fair if one has been actively sailing during the interim.
    Regards
    Lou
    Seabird

Lou,

Thanks for all the good information last year!!! As far as the qualifing cruise, I wouldn't try to change the rules, I would just "self qualify" with the cruise back from Mexico. I self qualified for 08 by running down to LA. I did have to go 140 miles offshore to get the required 400 miles, but it served the purpose. I took a picture of the GPS position at the furthest point offshore and plotted the course and it was accepted.

Just a thought. Hope you go in 2010.

John
    Dream Chaser