Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LongPac Web Pages & Tracking Map

Default LongPac Web Pages & Tracking Map

I've posted on the SSS web site a page for the 2009 LongPac that includes a link to the new transponder tracking page. http://sfbaysss.org/Longpac_2009.html

Most of the transponders are programmed to start transmitting Monday night after 10p.m. I will try testing a few transponders over the weekend to make sure the satellite account and map are setup and linked together properly.

Matt

Nice job, Matt!

Please note that Bandicoot and RedSky are also entered (any others?). Somebody needs to transcribe their entry information into Compete-At so they show up. Both have had their inspections and are finishing up their punch lists.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Please note that Bandicoot and RedSky are also entered (any others?). Somebody needs to transcribe their entry information into Compete-At so they show up.
    Done. At least the basic info.

Looks good, Matt!

Smile

Looks good. Great Job Mat.

George

Default Transponder location on deck

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    Most of the transponders are programmed to start transmitting Monday night after 10p.m. I will try testing a few transponders over the weekend to make sure the satellite account and map are setup and linked together properly.
    Hi Matt -

I've put the transponder on deck, tied down to the top of the life raft case, facing up.

Do we have any indication of how sensitive the transponders are to location on the boat? If I put the unit on the transom it is located below the metal surface of the solar panel; if I put it on the cockpit floor it gets stepped on; the safest place is on top of the life raft, which puts it beneath the boom (unless reaching).

Are you or RC in a position to let a boat know that a transponder is not working well? If so, and word gets back out to the fleet, the skipper could try moving the unit to another location on board.

And what's the delay between when the unit sends a signal and the signal appears on the chart? I'm trying to see if we can set up the transponders, look at the signal in the morning and if it does not appear, then move the transponder and then I'd need to know when to go back and check out the chart.

- rob

Default Transponder Tests

Tomorrow morning, I'll know better if there are any problems. The transponders are programmed to transmit every 2 hours after tonight. The signal can be blocked by objects in the way and I'm not sure if this will be a problem or not.

Since the satellites are located over land, a slight inclination to the east might help but I think it shouldn't be a problem. If the signal is blocked temporarily, the transponders will make several attempts to tranmit at the 2 hour interval.

I work right next to Alameda and I'm willing to come out tomorrow and plug in a laptop to any transponders that aren't transmitting wherever they might me located in the bay area.

Default Transponder tracking not working yet

I'm heading down to the marina with my laptop to see if I can figure out why the time delay on the transponders didn't work properly.

I'll give you all a call later today or post on the forum my results as I figure this out.

Default Global Star Account in SSS name

The problem was that the global star account hadn't yet been changed over to the SSS. The program is running properly on the transponders. Now that the account is in our name the transponders are starting to report in properly this morning. If you click on the google map link on the transponder page you can see the latest transponder data.

Whew, I was afraid I'd have to drive all over the bay area today or hop on and off peoples boats before the race to get this working. It seems like all is well and in a couple hours, I'll have a better idea which transponders, if any are not reporting.

Matt

Default Thanks SSS

I hope everyone has a wonderful sail. Go fast, be safe, and most of all, have fun! Thanks to all who put this together, and thanks Alan for spending time on my boat and giving me good advice.

See you on the water.

AJ Goldman
    Second Verse

Default Thanks Matt

The transponders are great and my family is so excited to follow the race. My students are also following, a little embarassing when I come DFL.

Oh well, all for fun!

Thanks again Matt.

AJ Goldman
    Second Verse