Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LongPac Web Pages & Tracking Map

Default Tracking the LongPac

Matt,

This is very cool. How often are the updates?

When you have a chance it would be good to know if there are boats that didn't start (DNC). It looks like there are boats still in their berths?

Tom (Wishing I was out there!)
    Dazzler

Okay I was a sceptic, but this IS cool!

Tom, the updates are every two hours (last was at about 1530). Looks like Rob tweaked his transponder - his updates are almost a half-hour later than the others (Rob would do that!).

The Google Earth overlay is amazing. Tricky though - the link is hiding under "Velocious" on the list and the Google Maps link is hiding under "Bandicoot" on the list - same for everyone else?

Whoever said that sportboats can't point should look at where Greg (Outsider) ended up. He's outpointing the whole fleet.
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-29-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Bob,

Yes, it was Rob's report times that were confusing. It see now that all the others are about the same time.

Does anyone know if Ergo, Bandicoot, Galaxsea and Constellation started or is it just a transponder issue?

Tom

Transponder issue.

Bandicoot's says 1500 on May 20, the other three show approx. 0900 this morning. So I guess that's four bad ones out of 25, about the same transponder failure rate as I've seen in other races.

Update - Now we have everybody but "Trunk Monkey," who didn't take a transponder. "Velocious" appears to be headed home. Tatia, just kidding about techie Rob - all in fun. I'm interested in hearing from Matt regarding the earlier missing signals, and whether he was able to fix them via laptop, got word to the boats to check/move the boxes, or what.
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-29-2009 at 09:31 PM.

Thats a bummer, do we need to send boats with 2 transponders each?

Default course

I've done this race a few times and never exited north of the Farallones, they must be on a nice SW breeze. This might make it interesting for the way back. I assume at some point the NW will come in and the fleet will tack back to starboard. It will be likely that the rumbline for the return trip will put them right through the mid - north Farralone islands. Not necessarily where you want to be, especially at night....

Liking the transponders, nice job to the board.

Looks like all the transponders are working now...

Default Reply

Tiger Beetle's take on this was one had to definitely be out the Far Islands by midnight. Thanks Travesio for your assessment, please keep them coming.

I assure you Rob e did not adjust his transponder.
    Now, stupid me am trying to track by lat/long and I can't figure it out with the fancy Google interface. Help?

Thanks

Hi Tatia,

If you click on the icon the lat/lon is available at the bottom left. If I understood your question correctly.

Thanks Dan!
    Complete user err/ (duh) on my part. I do have to say after being RC and an avid follower for the past 3 LP's, for me the transponders sure beat the "waiting, waiting. staring at the PC monitor twice daily (waiting) for the check in email to arrive"
    Thanks again