View Poll Results: Are you joining the fleet for SHTP 2010?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • "1" Long shot - 2012 is more likely.

3 13.64%
  • "2" Possibility - I'm thinking about it.

6 27.27%
  • "3" Likely - I'm actively preparing.

6 27.27%
  • "4" Serious - I'm well on my way.

4 18.18%
  • "5" Count me in - I'm going.

3 13.64%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SHTP Interest Poll

Quote Originally Posted by cr1 View Post
    And let me just ask one quicky... If I have the SSB, won't I need to install a wind generator to supplement the solar? (I've got 3ea. 105AH AGM's.) Let me know if I shouldn't ask questions here.
    I wouldn't count on a wind generator. Even in 'normal' wind conditions, you are likely to generate power only in the first 5 days or so of the race when you are reaching. After that, when the wind backs and it becomes a downwind race, the apparent wind is never really good enough to generate much power. And should there be light air conditions, you may not get any power at all for the entire trip. However, you will have plenty of power in the anchorage at Hanalei!

Keep in mind that you really only have the SSB on for the checkins, which is twice a day for 30-60 minutes, and for most of that time the set is receiving, which is at most a couple of amps. When you transmit, then you can go over 20 amps depending on how loud you speak, and whether you need to use the highest power setting. For my energy budget, where I listen a lot and comment only every so often, I figured about 6AH per day averaged out. So you may be perfectly OK with what you already have, though you didn't mention what your charging system was. Depending on how much you talk, your milage may vary. Any other veterans want to comment on what their SSB energy budget was?

- Mark/Alchera

Quote Originally Posted by Alchera View Post
    Any other veterans want to comment on what their SSB energy budget was?
    I didn't have a budget for SSB as I am intentionally running the engine to charge the batteries during roll call.

As Mark points out, a wind generator on TransPac is only useful for the 2-3 days off the California coast when the when might be blowing hard and you're reaching southwest fast. After crossing the ridge, the wind generator doesn't do much.

If a Contessa 26 has an inboard engine available for charging, I would concentrate resources there as regards a charging circuit. If no engine, I would add solar panels to the boat before adding a wind generator.

- rob/beetle

solar is a good way to go, some of the small boats relied in it exclusivley for all onboard power - on my boat I ran the engine once only, on day 8 or 9, for a couple of hours - it had been overcast since the start. Even then would have been alright not doing so since the sun came out the next day.

After that my battery bank was fully charged by noon of each day. I relied almost exclusivly on autopilot for steering but did not have refrigeration.

As far as an energy budget in concerned I really have no idea what mine might be . I prefer to over-design things instead of doing the math.

Jim/Haulback

Hi All,

I am listing myself as a 5 since I really enjoyed the last trip and am looking forward to this trip. Lots of work to do, but boat is in the yard since I haven't been able to get to it myself.

Solar is wonderful if you have sun (we basically didn't in 08) and your contacts are all weather proofed. Mine worked fine in the desert but were toast by the time I got to HI.

Re: Spot Messenger - I ran it last year and it worked great in the published coverage area. It stopped about about 2/3 of the way to HI coming and going.

I was comm boat for about a week on the last race and it's a lot of work, but it's also lots of fun. It does interfere if you are really trying to win the race. If you go without an HF radio, no matter what the requirements are, you miss a large part of the fun. I really enjoyed the coversations on HF after the checkins and plotting the positions of the boats I was competing with was also part of the fun. I have a Satellite phone as a backup (so the wife doesn't worry if the HF causes problems again) but I plan on HF as my primary means of both voice and email communication.

Hope some of the 2008 competitors come back but if they don't perhaps I will win my division. Still just get a belt buckle, but what the heck.......

John
    Dream Chaser
    1975 Valiant 40

Bob, Polar Bear has all the gear and the race kitty is full again ( I can not believe how many times they will let me refinance my house!) We are a likely three, got an offer to sail to Norway next summer on a boat with headroom, so we'll keep you updated.

ET

Default 2010 shtp

So I put myself in at a 2 but am actively preparing my boat. It all depends if my money holds out. I should say if my ship of money rolls in. I am working towards moving up to a 3 ...

Scott
    Last edited by SSS.ScottP; 10-13-2009 at 08:28 PM.
    CAL Twenty-Nine

Smile Update on Horizon and SHTP

Quote Originally Posted by cr1 View Post
    Greetings...

As a few of you may remember I prepared for the previous SHTP but didn't participate although my wife and I did show up for the banquet and awards on Kauai. I'm committing to 2.5 which means that the boat is prepared from last year (3.0) but as far as personal committment, I'm seriously thinking (2.0).

I've got a SSB in a box with backstay antenna and ground already installed.

And let me just ask one quicky... If I have the SSB, won't I need to install a wind generator to supplement the solar? (I've got 3ea. 105AH AGM's.) Let me know if I shouldn't ask questions here.

(Yikes, quit thinking so hard and go!) On the other hand I'm getting a little bit of pressure to sell the boat so it's possible that I may just put Horizon up for sale as "good to go".

Thanks,

Rich
    PSSA down here in Southern California
    "Horizon"
    Contessa 26
    OK here's the latest on me and the SHTP. I'm at 3.5 which is up a full point from last message. Even though I've got Horizon for sale until Christmas, if it doesn't sell I only need to install the SSB, get solar and windlass. Can't believe I couldn't find the number and code for the seminar last night. I feel like I should make a trip up there for a seminar so I can say hi...

Thanks,

Rich and Horizon in Costa Mesa
    ------------------------------
    Last edited by cr1; 10-20-2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: missing data...

Default Contessa 26 Transpac

Go Rich Go!
    Then we could have an International Folkboat vs. Contessa 26 showdown! Jeremy Rogers and Tord Sunden would be soo proud. Your boat looks really nice...Hope you make it...

Adam

s/v Blue Moon
    International Folkboat #175

Default Warriors Wish

Warriors Wish is a strong 3 right now, but I am not going to be aboard.....news at 10.....stay tuned

Hoorah, nice work Don. Best wishes Ronnie!