View Poll Results: Are you joining the fleet for SHTP 2010?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • "1" Long shot - 2012 is more likely.

3 13.64%
  • "2" Possibility - I'm thinking about it.

6 27.27%
  • "3" Likely - I'm actively preparing.

6 27.27%
  • "4" Serious - I'm well on my way.

4 18.18%
  • "5" Count me in - I'm going.

3 13.64%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SHTP Interest Poll

Default 2010 Transpac Interest Level 5

O.L. 33 Tamara is a 5....We are currently preparing....

Haulback is pretty much good-to-go as she sits. New paint job, and re-rigged, this time with double spreaders. All bottom paint removed and bottom faired a bit better.

Larger bookshelf.......

I will be there for sure, depending on being able to arrange for guys to fill in for me at work. Probably about 80% sure I can pull it off again. I put myself as a 3.

One other boat up here is probably about a 4.5 for going, and there is another guy who is a possiblity.....but hasn't started to actively prepare yet

Default SoCal Sailor

I missed the 2008 TransPac due to prostrate cancer. Now that that is over I am at a "4". I would say "5", but it is too early for that kind of commitment.

Islander 36, "Pakele"
    Gary Gould

Default 2010 Transpac Interest Level 5

TAZ!! is a 5. Waiting to find out if SSB is going to be required.

George

George, will you be taking a satphone?

How about the rest of you who voted "3" or higher?

Default Re: satphone question

Depends somewhat on what is required in the rules. I have an SSB I got off ebay but haven't installed in the boat. If SSB isn't required and the installation is looking painful I might just get a satphone and ditch the SSB. If SSB is required I will most likely not get a satphone.

Adrian
    Last edited by cafemontaigne; 08-21-2009 at 08:41 AM.

Default Tamara Equipped w/ SSB

Just scored an SSB...I hear the chatting along the way is part of the fun Tamara will most likely just have SSB and perhaps a SPOT to keep the crew back home informed...SSB + Sat Phone + Sat Phone Minutes = $$$$$$$$$$$$$ Lots more to do...

Default Likely or better

Culebra is eager to go and making serious preparations. Not looking forward to buying and installing $$B (if you catch my drift), but I'm expecting it to be required, so I'm adjusting my mind to the reality of the expense and the installation effort. I will have a SAT phone too. My feeling is that for people like me (non-cruisers making infrequent ocean passages) SSB is a luxury--high social value, added sense of security--and maybe (and I'm not convinced here) it supports easier check-in (have we really tried hard enough on the check-in options?). Could be that SAT phone is the only reliable (and portable) communication system in a serious emergency, even if the boat's electrics give up the ghost for a while, so I'm bringing it. I like elegant systems and SSB just isn't elegant (cut the backstay, lay copper sheets and ribbons, pump out monster amps... not elegant). Maybe somebody is smart enough to figure out a better way? But I'll be damned if I let you all have the fun without me... I'm going.

It is gratifying to know so many of you are preparing for a go at this craziness! As SHTP 2010's newly-crowned co-chairs, Rob and I are also relieved - we hate to put on a party where nobody shows up.

Just to confirm, the rules (including communications) are still in draft form and will not be finalized until the rules committee meets on September 9th. It is GREAT that many of you are well along in your preparations but I don't want you to throw stuff at us if we end up surprising you on some requirement.

Of course there's always E-Bay and yacht club flea markets (kidding!)

Default Horizon is 2.5

Greetings...

As a few of you may remember I prepared for the previous SHTP but didn't participate although my wife and I did show up for the banquet and awards on Kauai. I'm committing to 2.5 which means that the boat is prepared from last year (3.0) but as far as personal committment, I'm seriously thinking (2.0).

I've got a SSB in a box with backstay antenna and ground already installed.

And let me just ask one quicky... If I have the SSB, won't I need to install a wind generator to supplement the solar? (I've got 3ea. 105AH AGM's.) Let me know if I shouldn't ask questions here.

(Yikes, quit thinking so hard and go!) On the other hand I'm getting a little bit of pressure to sell the boat so it's possible that I may just put Horizon up for sale as "good to go".

Thanks,

Rich
    PSSA down here in Southern California
    "Horizon"
    Contessa 26