View Poll Results: Are you joining the fleet for SHTP 2010?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • "1" Long shot - 2012 is more likely.

3 13.64%
  • "2" Possibility - I'm thinking about it.

6 27.27%
  • "3" Likely - I'm actively preparing.

6 27.27%
  • "4" Serious - I'm well on my way.

4 18.18%
  • "5" Count me in - I'm going.

3 13.64%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SHTP Interest Poll

Default Slacker is a definite maybe

Bob,

Prepping the T-Ten for the Guadalupe Race down here. What's keeping the number is the time commitment for the SHTP. A week to get the boat up there, then another month to do the race.

Whitall

Default Pondering the meaning of life/ TP?

I am preparing my rare Dick Newick trimaran for the trip. Downwind may not be my friend as she was built for upwind sailing (the OSTAR) and at this point there really isn't anyone to race against in my class. I ask anyone in my class who has raced or is planning to race to contact me as I need all the help I can get! I am planning on sailing south to qualify asap. Stephen Marcoe "Native" 775 827 2786

Default Guadalupe Island Race

Stephen,

Come on down for the Guadalupe Island race in March for your qualifier! The race will give you some downwind and upwind work. We're trying to get some other multihulls on the starting line.

Which Newick tri do you have? I'm familiar with a few of them from the late '70's early '80s.

Whitall

Default Newick tri

I have Moxie's older sister, she is Native hull #1 and is the only open wing Native ever built. She was first to finish in the single and doublehanded Farallon Island race 09. She won with only a main and a genoa! Stephen

Default Another point of view

Both Mark and Rob say that you can't count on a wind generator for power, but you have to remember that Rob's sailing a 45 ft boat that averages 10 knots on the way to HI and Mark's on a 40 ft racer that can average better than that. So I'm not surprised wind gens don't work for them in the trades.

On the Valiant 32 I sailed to HI, I averaged 4 knots or so and the wind gen supplied most of my electricity on the way over and back. What works for bigger, faster boats may not be right for smaller, slower boats - and vice versa.

Default Moxie

Quote Originally Posted by multihuler@aol. View Post
    I have Moxie's older sister, she is Native hull #1 and is the only open wing Native ever built. She was first to finish in the single and doublehanded Farallon Island race 09. She won with only a main and a genoa! Stephen
    Moxie was a quick boat, to be sure. Was Phil Weld the last American OSTAR winner? I guess the main and Genny is all you need! My father and I were caught in the same storm that flipped Gulf Streamer back in '76.

Whitall

I just upgraded "Warrior's Wish" from a 3 to a 4. I am almost done prepping the boat here in North Carolina, and we should be trailering to San Francisco in a couple of weeks. I am planning my qualifying sail sometime in February or March, and then we'll be a 5.

If anyone wants to track our progress in preparing for the SHTP, you can follow our blog at www.openbluehorizon.com.

Looking forward to meeting everyone,

Ronald A. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie simpson View Post
    I just upgraded "Warrior's Wish" from a 3 to a 4. I am almost done prepping the boat here in North Carolina, and we should be trailering to San Francisco in a couple of weeks. I am planning my qualifying sail sometime in February or March, and then we'll be a 5.

If anyone wants to track our progress in preparing for the SHTP, you can follow our blog at www.openbluehorizon.com.

Looking forward to meeting everyone,

Ronald A. Simpson
    Ronald - good luck with your effort, stories like yours are always great to hear about. Warriors Wish is a fine boat and knows the way already, you will have a blast. Make sure you get all the burnt spinnaker off of her!

- Mark

So.......having been a eager participant since '02 in 3 starts and 4 finishes of the SHTP, it is with great regret that I have to inform the RC - and all competitors - that Haulback & I will not be coming down for this year's race to Hawaii.

Events and crewing limitations at work mean I will be unable to get away for the 2 1/2 months it takes for me to stage down to SF, across to Hawaii and back to BC, in our little corner of the Pacific

Seeing as I will probably retire early in 2012, I would strongly suspect that I will be along for the next one.

I guess this at least opens up the field for someone else to get the 'first to finish' trophy.

I will continue to watch this forum and the race itself, with great interest, from the sidelines

Jim/Haulback

I'm most disappointed to read this, Jim. You will be missed.

I'm hoping your circumstances change and you can join us after all, but if they don't we'll be here to catch your dock lines in 2012.

Bob J.