Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LED Navigationlights

Hello

I guess I have to put things right:
    I'm NOT prepairing for LongPac or TransPac. - not yet - but it would be nice to be there for TransPac 2016 or later. At the moment I'm just prepairing for a world-cruising.

I do not care much for the strobe which might be even "just a flashing anchorlight". It simply comes with this type of lamp and might be helpful someday.

All I'm looking for, is a Tricolor with anchorlight for my CARINA, a Carter 30, to be used on long ocean-passages and hundreds of nights in beautiful anchorages. It has to draw as less power as possible, has to be reliable and should meet the regulations. To find a less expensive one, would leave some money for other things I still want to put on.

For very special rules of some countries I still have my bow- and sternlights wich meet the COLREG and the German BSH and surely the rules of most countries in the world and I can always use those if required.

It looks like there are not many kinds of LED-Tricolots available. All I could find, was the Aquasignal, Lopolight, Orca and Optolamp. All at pretty much same price apart from the cheaper Optolamp. BTW it was chosen for the "Vendeeglobe", "Minitransat" and other races, which makes me think it meets at least the COLREGS.

Erika
    SY CARINA

Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    Hello
    SNIP
    All I'm looking for, is a Tricolor with anchorlight for my CARINA, a Carter 30, to be used on long ocean-passages and hundreds of nights in beautiful anchorages. It has to draw as less power as possible, has to be reliable and should meet the regulations.
    SNIP
    Optolamp. BTW it was chosen for the "Vendeeglobe", "Minitransat" and other races, which makes me think it meets at least the COLREGS.

Erika
    SY CARINA
    At the SSS 2010 Transpac seminar last night, person after person reported that on the open ocean, navigation lights, even mast head navigation lights were not noticed at anywhere near the distance that a strobe was noticed by ship captains they conversed with in passing. That is why strobes are favored off shore.

As a practical matter, lights are only one way that ships passing close to each other in the dark become aware of each other. Many of these same people that commented on the lights also commented on the use of Radar alarms on their own radar, AIS receiver alarms, AIS transcievers, and SeaMe radar transponders.

The bottom line is this. Get the mast head light of your choice, and also get some AIS based and Radar based alarm systems as well.

John Foster
    Blueberry, Nonsuch 22, sail # 48

The bottom line is this. Get the mast head light of your choice, and also get some AIS based and Radar based alarm systems as well
    Thank you John,

that's the plan! - in case there is some money left, after buying the LED

I am waiting for the NEW radar-system, which will be much lighter and draw less power, untill it gets cheaper.

Erika