Thread: Insurance

Default Insurance

Does anyone know of a source for insurance coverage for SHTP? I'm working my way down a list of brokers and no carriers they contact are interested so far.

Cliff Shaw
    Rainbow

Hi Cliff,

As far as I know, you're not going to find insurance coverage unless you get an individual policy from Lloyd's of London.

Bill Merrick

Wink SHTP Insurance

I agree that Bill's is the only option. To my knowlege the only coverage would be a catastrophic loss tax deduction.
    Another factor is the return trip. In 2002 I had 2 crew (my wife and a friend) for the return and felt compelled to get insurance. To re-instate the carrier insisted on a survey. I had to pay for a surveyor to fly from Honolulu plus the additional premium.
    In 2006 I just crept out and crept back with the crew and tried not to dwell on the downside.
    Lou

Thank you Bill and Lou. I'll take a stab at Lloyd's but I have a feeling that not dwelling on the downside is indeed the bottom line. Cliff

Default insurance

I was able to get coverage for the 2008 race through State Farm, granted an Olson 30 is cheap enough for them to cover, "in house".

Eric

Thanks Eric--its worth a try! Cliff

Default Really??

I was able to get coverage for the 2008 race through State Farm, granted an Olson 30 is cheap enough for them to cover, "in house".
    Really?!?!? Most carriers don't even provide coverage for fully crewed Hawaii crossings. So State Farm provided you with a policy with no crew restrictions? I'm in shock if it's the case. Heck, most insurance policies require 2-3 just for a coastal delivery.