View Poll Results: What is the best prize to receive for placing in an SSS race? (Chose one or more)

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Placards like 2009

7 38.89%
  • Sail Ties, Bags, Water Bottles or Other Items Printed with SSS Logo

7 38.89%
  • Utility Knives, Flash Lights & Other Useful Items for Sailors

6 33.33%
  • Additional T-Shirt

2 11.11%
  • Bottle of Rum

0 0%
  • Photos of the Boats

3 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for 2010 SSS Board

Awards. I tend to agree with Bob. I kinda like the engraved plaques. I haven't won enough to start patching my roof with them, but I would vary the design a bit. Dan mentioned the IYC's boat photo awards. Those were really nice, but I imagine they're more expensive and, for much larger SSS races, they'd be more work to produce. Maybe as season series winners' keepers or for more significant race awards-- Transpac, LongPac, Farallones?

As others have mentioned, unless the SSS is in financial troubles I'd be wary of increasing the DH fees, over SH fees, as a means of trying to encourage singlehanded participation. My guess is, that would simply reduce DH entries and, thus, overall participation. I love racing singlehanded but I am considering doing a season of DH with my 13-year old son or a friend who really wants to get into racing. Either way, I bring someone new into the sport but the added fees, while not onerous, would be annoying.

I like the proposal of a new race, a 1-2 like Vallejo or whatever, to the South Bay. I never sail down there, so it would expand my horizons (so to speak) and might draw more folks from the South Bay into the other races. Though I appreciate Dan's concern that the race down could be a reach-parade. A three-day race?! Cool. I'd definitely do it. But what a race committee burden. Drake's Bay? The OYRA already does that and offers a short-handed class. Why poach theirs?

Lee
    Sailfish
    Last edited by Sailfish; 11-03-2009 at 10:13 AM.

Default Photo Awards

Here's a story. Sometime in the 1990s I filled in for an unnamed "escaped" SSS Race Director (not everyone's been as faithful as Max!). The Corinthian Race was new and the SSS handed out trophies at the CYC following the race. So after we got the boats started, I jumped in the borrowed SYC committee boat and by myself took a photo of each entry at Knox or Blackaller - and a few I had to chase down. I rushed the film back to a one-hour shop in Sausalito, drove to the CYC, and we put the prize winners' photos in pre-prepared photo mats/frames. We gave the other photos to everyone.
    Whew! I promised myself to never volunteer for that duty again!
    I think SSS could arrange with one of the pro photographers to have photo trophies. YRA did it a couple of years ago and they were well-received. I can bring an example to a meeting if there's interest.
    Pat. B.

Default Trophies and Single Handing

The placques need to be replaced with something better. I LIKE the photo idea and the size of photo/frame to distinguish 1-3rd works. Everyone likes to see their boat.

IF we go for photos, make the .jpg available to the winners.

Fostering Single Handing--Do an estuary race single handed only-it's hardly ever windy in the estuary. I think a lot of folks would single hand if they had the opportunity to do so in a safe race, First.

Additional ideas, Ask OYC to have a single handed fleet in their winter Sunday Brunch series OR Ask IYC to have a single handed fleet in their Lightbucket race. How about the DDR or Jazz Cup single handed? Any existing race or series could be an Addition to SSS if we figured out how to do it so it "counts"--but it would "count" only if the race was done single handed.

I don't think monetary rewards will be good for getting single handers "out there".

The lack of participation in the awards presentations may get worse and that won't help foster single handing.
    Respectfully, Thom

SeaRail 19, SriRacha

Quote Originally Posted by P. Broderick - Elaine View Post
    . . . The Corinthian Race was new and the SSS handed out trophies at the CYC following the race. So after we got the boats started, I jumped in the borrowed SYC committee boat and by myself took a photo of each entry at Knox or Blackaller - and a few I had to chase down. I rushed the film back to a one-hour shop in Sausalito, drove to the CYC, and we put the prize winners' photos in pre-prepared photo mats/frames. We gave the other photos to everyone . . .
    Wow Pat - that's dedication!

Here's another wrinkle: To encourage SH participation, how about framed boat photos for the skippers who do at least ___(?) races during the season singlehanded? By midseason you'd have an idea which boats were likely to do enough races, so you'd only need to get photos of them.

Then speaking of "Suggestions for the 2010 SSS Board," how about suggestions for someone to be the new Race Chair?

Default Incentives for Race Chairs...

Clearly this seems to be the tougher position to fill on the board. Even though it doesn't necessarily require you to 'not' race, it does require you to be able to line up a PRO and enough people for every race. But the actual work required is pretty well scripted and not difficult.

I'm wondering if by providing some incentives we might be able to recruit more volunteers.

Here are some perks I can think off...

1. How about free SSS membership for the following X years
    2. Guaranteed spot (with lower responsibilities) on the Kauai Transpac Race Committee during his/hers tenure?
    3. Make the RC position a 1 year commitment

Does anyone think any of this might persuade anyone in the fence?

Default More thoughts...

Not having very many placques, I still enjoy receiving them. Perhaps we could rule that placques have to be left on the boats. For sure, this might slow Gordie down. Beggars can't be choosers, so I appreciate anything the committee comes up with.

I understand the desire of some to have more single handed entries. On the flip side I have used the SSS opportunity to sail and teach my son and my nephew, as well as spending enjoyable days one-on-one with old friends.

The idea for a second one-two scenario is a good one. Another concept would be to do the same course two days in a row - single first and double second - with an overnight at the sponsoring club. Then everyone can compare notes and up the bragging rights. What comes to mind is something like the crazy eight that Corinthian puts on around Angel and Alcatraz.

Default We haven't tried basing any races from Sausalito

And I don't know whether or not there is room at any marina for a bunch of us to congregate overnight, but it is a spot to "look at". Another option is Ballena Bay in Alameda or furthe South on the peninsula (bay side near SFO).

I like the 2 day to promote single handing. But instead of Single-Double Day 1-2, Do it the other way with the same course (and hopefully similar weather). That way the skipper garners confidence with crew day 1 and can venture out alone day 2.

There is a big window between May 22 and August 28 for scheduling (assuming you aren't doing the transpac and most don't). All of June, All of July and most of August.
    Respectfully, Thom

SeaRail 19, SriRacha

Default More races, more singlehanding, different trophies, 198 PHRF division

Hi all,
    I would love to see at least a couple of more races on the schedule and love the idea of more ocean. Drakes Bay is a logical one. Perhaps an ocean course using the approach buoys as markers and finish back inside the Bay would be another good model.
    Although I agree that DH is also great, I would support anything that might encourage more singlehanding.
    I like Dan would love to see the boat photo option as first choice and the useful items with SSS logo as second as trophies.
    A restructuring of divisions so that say 150 to 186 raced together and then 186 and above might make for more interesting racing for those of us with more humble craft and encourage more smaller boats to join the SSS and participate. There are lots of older smaller boats out there who might want to play if invited.
    Peter

Some interesting ideas floated. A few reactions from an EX race chair's point of view:

It would be hard to add more race weekends. Apart from the inconvenient fact that our calendar has already gone to Latitude 38 for their annual racing guide, any added date would conflict with something. Either the racing area or the race deck that we want to use would be occupied by another fleet, or we'd be competing for entries with an event that some of our members might be interested in. Rather than adding a date, I'd suggest that any new race replace Richmond - South Beach, which seems to have had a little trouble getting traction.

The large hiatus in our 2010 calendar after the TransPac was put there intentionally to give TransPac competitors a chance to get home without missing any races, thus giving them a better chance at the season title.

I've pored over charts and driven around looking for additional locations where we might be able to start or finish races from shore, without a lot of luck. Steve Hill did a great job with RYC finagling the use of Pelican for the start of the Vallejo 1 this year, but in general it's tough to line up a committee boat. Coyote Point is a possibility for a shore-based RC.

Max
    Last edited by Critter; 11-06-2009 at 07:08 PM.

Oh yeah, one more thing:

Class 4 is already our smallest PHRF group, in most races. I can't see carving a 198-plus group out of it, or raising the class minimum to 198.