View Poll Results: What is the best prize to receive for placing in an SSS race? (Chose one or more)

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Placards like 2009

7 38.89%
  • Sail Ties, Bags, Water Bottles or Other Items Printed with SSS Logo

7 38.89%
  • Utility Knives, Flash Lights & Other Useful Items for Sailors

6 33.33%
  • Additional T-Shirt

2 11.11%
  • Bottle of Rum

0 0%
  • Photos of the Boats

3 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for 2010 SSS Board

Thumbs up Suggestions for 2010 SSS Board

Several good ideas were discussed at the annual meeting and I'm sure I wasn't in on all of them.

A few ideas that I heard were:

Idea 1. Giving out prizes other than placard for races because many of the long time SSS racers have so many that they use them to patch holes when needed. I got my first second place placard this year, after five years of trying, but still think that it might be a good idea to only give trophies for first place and then something else for 2nd-4th... I heard ideas like Sail Ties, Bags & Water Bottles printed with the SSS name and logo. Utility Knives, bottles of rum and other items an SSS racer might need.

Idea 2. Holding a different race that encourages more single handed participation like the Vallejo 1-2 where the racers need to be single handed for the first leg and double back. Possibly an overnight stop somewhere in the South Bay that could host a gathering for a different race than the Richmond-SouthBeach race.

Idea 3. Like the YRA, hold a 198+ PHRF division to encourage more of the Santana 22 fleet, Crazy Cal 20 racers, Wilderness 21 owners, other late 70s to early 80s less expensive boats and slower rated boats around the bay to come out for single handed competition with our inside the bay races.

If you have a few ideas to add to these or comments about mine, this might be a good place in the forum to post them. I'll pin this post at the top of the SSS Board Business section of the forum.

Just to pass the idea along before I forget, it was suggested to me that there be "keeper" trophies for 2nd and 3rd in the season points. Since the 1st place trophy is a perpetual, logically there would be a keeper for 1st also.

Ideas on encouraging singlehanding:

Raise single-race entry fees for doublehanders. This has been suggested before and shot down because of the bookkeeping hassle, but maybe with online entries it'd be easier to keep track of.

For the doublehanded season points, your best singlehanded race is counted.

Default RE: encouraging singlehanding

This past season there were 8 races, including the LongPac and counting the Vallejo 1/2 as 2 races. Yet, only 2 races are required to be singlehanded (Farallones and Vallejo 1).

Proposal for consideration and comment:
    a) Addiitional singlehanded races on the schedule or,
    b) make (1 or 2) more existing races singlehanded only.

Tom

Coyote Point would host a party for a overnight race and provide a Boat for finish and start or that could be done from the breakwater, harbor masters deck. There is enough guest dock and slips . Could be whatever you want it to be.
    The leg from Hunters Point to the finish would prove to be very lively as you enter the San Bruno gap in the afternoon the wind is up 18+. On a flood the water is flat. An ebb provides some good rides.
    Vince.

I like the engraved awards but we've been doing the same plaques for several years - I'd vote for a change in design.

Before the plaques SSS gave out mugs, which seemed kind of cheap for a whole day spent on the water, plus I don't win that many so I look forward to seeing the details "memorialized" on the award. Someone suggested naming the crew on the DH awards - they certainly deserve it, having to race with most of us skippers!

IT REALLY BUGS ME when so many winners don't come to pick them up and to cheer on and encourage the other winners. Sometimes a third of the awards are left on the table, and sometimes even the perpetuals. I know it's a drive for some people but it says "your race and award aren't that important to me."

Moving on, I strongly support making and keeping single-handing the emphasis of our group, with completing the Singlehanded TransPac the goal it has been for so many skippers. IMHO, double-handing is the training ground for eventually "moving up" to single-handing. I double-handed Troubadour the first year or two, but my goal was always to get good enough to go it alone out there. Now I double-hand to help somebody else along, or if I'm not feeling up to racing SH in the Bay and dodging a large fleet of mostly DH'ers.

That said, we have a tried-and-true format and Max has done a great job adjusting the schedule and courses to make them even better. If skippers want more they can race SHS in OYRA, although I liked it better when OYRA gave you a time credit for going solo.
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-02-2009 at 10:59 PM.

Default single vs. double

Except for this last year I had always done all the seasons singlehanded. I have to admit that with the right crew, doublehanded is quite enjoyable. I will probably go back to singlehanded now as the boat will be ready for SH next season. I don't think we want to discourage DH. Folks with ambition for ocean SH racing will go SH anyways, and the DH entries to help keep the entries up and supporting the society. Perhaps we can try changing the fees, as it is we are some of the cheapest racing in the bay and some of the must fun and comradery. Perhaps $30 for a SH entry and $50 for a DH?? That could help motivate some folks to go single....

I think another 1 - 2 race is a good idea. Awards would be based on the combined results just like Vallejo. We don't often go down to the south bay. It might be good destination, but I think the courses would be quite dull as it is mostly reachy..... I'm sure the tris would dig it

It might even be nice to have a 3 day singlehanded race... a 3 leg singlehanded tour of the bay. Something like:
    Leg1: TI around the brothers to Corinthian
    Leg2: Corinthian to Blackaller down to Coyote
    Let3: Coyote up the south bay and down the Estuary to OYC

HMB is already a 2 day commitment... but I don't really remember having any breeze coming back anyways (or down recently for that matter). Logistics are also a bit difficult if we wanted to shorten the return course. So that might not be a good idea.

Anyways, some food for thought.

dan

Default trophies..

For trophies, it would be awesome if we could get framed pictures of our boats (it would be a good differentiator for 1st place boats on their divisions). We have some great photographers on the bay and some of the folks from IYC might now their club member with a framing shop (they did this type of trophies for their Friday night series). I think everyone loves a good shot of their boat and it will help support the local boat photographers instead of some trophy shop.

Not sure if the budget would allow for this though.

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Ideas on encouraging singlehanding:
    For the doublehanded season points, your best singlehanded race is counted.
    I like this idea... I think it would do a great job encouraging members who normally race double to enter single now and then.

But for me personally, I like singlehanding as much as possible and so I'd vote for another solo race out in the ocean. Racing singlehanded in the bay with the typical heavy winds and no room for error, or to maneuver (sure, call me a wimp if you want), is a bummer because it just doesn't feel safe... and that diminishes the fun factor. I'm guessing a lot of us often race double for this reason.

So, as an example, how about a solo-only race up to Drakes Bay and back, on an overnight like the OYRA does, anchored at Drakes for the night? Or some other route, a 2-day race, non-stop and far enough offshore to assure a finish in SF bay the next day (a mini-pac?). Or whatever... out in the ocean.

Paul
    Culebra

Default Board Suggestions, Etc.

I'm trying to remember all the parts of threads I want to respond to, so here goes. I've been sort of out-of-touch email-wise.
    1. Prizes. In the late 1990s SSS offered "practical prizes" (cushions/map protectors [I still use mine]/and other equipment - often with an engraved plastic tag. If someone really wanted a plaque, it could be done - say someone who had won a first race. I think the practical gift is a good way to go.
    2. Single vs Double fees. Is the SSS financially in the hole? If not, then I don't see any reason to change the fee structure. I'm not in the running for either the Single/Double Champ - I sail some races both ways, usually depending on how I feel or who can come along.
    3. OYRA has a Shorthanded Division. That means you can sail all the OYRA races, including the overnight Drakes Bay already. Why re-invent the wheel?
    4. The first half of the 2010 OYRA season has been worked out with the PacCup YC to make that series better practice for sailing to Hawaii. YRA is offering special prizes for PacCup boats on top of the normal OYRA ones. We could do the same thing for SSS Transpac boats sailing short handed.
    Enough for now, Pat B.