Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SHTP Get-Together at EYC 12/13/09

Default I'm in as well...

I'm excited about the get together...Blue Moon also has the rig down...so I will be coming by land...Look forward to seeing everyone..

Adam
    Blue Moon
    International Folkboat #175

Default Big Thank You

Thank you, everyone, who brought your boats to show today. Very cool to see Brian come in under spinnaker, by the way, on Red Sky. Also very generous of the vets to make the trip over and let us peek under the hood!

Paul
    Culebra

A great group and lots of fun!

Boats who made the trek, despite the threatening weather:
    Feolena - Rob T
    Red Sky - Brian B
    Second Verse - AJ G
    Solar Wind - Max C
    Tiger Beetle - Rob M

Boats represented by skippers via land:
    Arowana - Larry R
    Bandicoot - Al G
    Blueberry - John F (popped in after racing)
    Blue Moon - Adam C
    Culebra - Paul N
    Ergo - Bill M
    Even Keel - Bill M
    Kismet - Ruben G
    Nancy - Pat B
    No Ka Oi - Phil M
    Ragtime! - Bob J
    Rosalita - Scott P
    Seabird - Lou F
    Spellbound - Bob G
    Taz! - George L
    Westerly - Steve W

There were others who stopped in and I probably missed somebody - feel free to add a post.

Besides getting aboard the boats, a clandestine side trip was made to Svendsen's to check the work being done on Culebra and Ragtime!, various rules were discussed over EYC cheeseburgers, and an intense discussion was had regarding the risks of racing to Kauai in a state of dishabille, and recommended modifications to lessen said risks.

Thanks again to all who came over today!
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-15-2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: More skippers keep coming to mind.

Bob,

Thanks for organizing this event, Janine and I had a great time! We actually made it back to Coyote Point by 1930, a clear and beautiful night sail. On the way home I thought a lot about what we discussed and your input, along with the other vets, was just perfect! Informational, encouraging, and a motivation to go!

Have a great Holiday Season everyone,

AJ

Default Pics from Dr. Lou

Default That was fun!

Hi Bob/Rob -

Thanks for putting together the gathering, it was fun to hang out with the skippers that are planning to race, and to meet up with friends from past races. The weather also cooperated quite well, and the club was good.

A great time from my perspective. It's good to see the different ways race requirements are met and problems solved as each skipper sets up their boat for the run to Hawaii.

- rob/beetle

Speaking of friends/boats from past races, Hecla is in the top picture - you have to look hard but she's in there - all three hulls' worth.

Default Dec Gathering

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    A great group and lots of fun!
    and an intense discussion was had regarding the risks of racing to Kauai in a state of dishabille, and recommended modifications to lessen said risks.
    Bob, Rob and all who brought boats, thanks. Tiger Beetle made my boat look like an HO gage while Second Verse made my boat look ... well lets just say I need to pay attention to some detail on the ol' gal.

I really enjoyed visiting with all and seeing how various problems were solved. Very educational for me.

As to the discussion mentioned in the quote above, very sorry I missed that. Interested to know more about the "recommended modifications to lessen the risks."

Thanks again, Scott
    CAL Twenty-Nine

Quote Originally Posted by tiger beetle View Post
    Hi Bob/Rob -

Thanks for putting together the gathering, it was fun to hang out with the skippers that are planning to race, and to meet up with friends from past races. The weather also cooperated quite well, and the club was good.

A great time from my perspective. It's good to see the different ways race requirements are met and problems solved as each skipper sets up their boat for the run to Hawaii.

- rob/beetle
    Something like this once a month or so (yeah I know, a Dec get together was easy because of so few possible racing conflicts) would be awesome.

Any thoughts?

John/Blueberry

Quote Originally Posted by ssatsixty View Post
    As to the discussion mentioned in the quote above, very sorry I missed that. Interested to know more about the "recommended modifications to lessen the risks."
    It had to do with cockpit cushions in the macro view and padding in the micro view. Rob M and George will have to fill in the details (off-line).

Oh, and I'm electing to protect the identity of the person who thought that was a cockroach on the bulkhead above Beetle's nav station . . .