Thread: Man Overboard Video

Default Man Overboard Video

This link was sent to me by the Great Lakes Singlehanded Society

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8383946.stm?ls

Don't try this at home

Synthia/Eyrie
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Default ooops!

Thanks for the link, Synthia! The first shot made it look as though he almost dove over the side. But in last slow-motion replay, you can see how he really got launched. Quick response by the crew.

Tony Hoff

Apparently he was about to go below at the end of his watch. The armchair quarterbacks on another website pointed out that he shouldn't have unclipped until he was in the companionway. Others pointed out how unprotected the cockpits are on those boats.

I did some research before updating the RR&C's for the 2010 SH TransPac. One thing I discovered is that it is more common for a crewmember to slip UNDER the lifelines (like this guy did) than over them. I'm evaluating how to make this less likely on my boat, which doesn't even have toerails amidships and aft.

Anyway, it's a great reminder and wake-up call for us shorthanders who are often trucking along on autopilot, solo. Even inside SF Bay, due to our 55+/- degree water we only have about 20 minutes in the water before we're pretty incapacitated. It could take that long for another skipper to realize we're no longer on our boat, let alone start looking for us.

There are double line tethers for moving to companionway without ever being unclipped. http://www.landfallnavigation.com/swt10.html

But it seems that this is more about fatigue and staying sharp than about specific equipment. The guy looks a bit groggy and slow and unclipped in an odd location, could have moved a bit closer to safety first.

I haven't done that much SH sailing yet but it seems to me when you have other crew with you it's easier to relax and let your guard down. SH I always feel like I have to double-check my actions and move more carefully.

Default nets

we use white fishing nets cut to fit on each side to prevent such an event as falling throu railing and middle lifelines