Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hanalei Housing

Default Hanalei Housing

For the last couple of SHTP's (at least), this house has been rented by several of the racers. It is easy walking distance to the Tree, the grocery store is across the street and it is central to everything else. Often skippers and their guests gather at the house in the evenings - it has almost become part of the SHTP experience. Also, the per-night cost of taking one part of the house is less than staying most other places in Hanalei.

Since the house will not be used as R/C headquarters this time, one or more racers need to take charge of reserving it including making a deposit, promoting its availability (you can do that by continuing this very thread), collecting money from those wishing to stay there and making sure the owners get paid, etc. By the way, the owners are Jim and Shannon, themselves sailors who have done extensive world cruising.

I have informed Shannon of the likely dates but unless a deposit is made soon to hold it, the house may no longer be available.

I need one or more volunteers who are interested in using the house to take care of this - it is outside the scope of the Race Committee's duties.
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-05-2010 at 05:14 PM.

Default So, where are you all staying?

For those planning to race, I'm wondering if folks have decided yet where they are staying? Is the RC staying at Hanalei Bay Resort? I'm wondering if any of the racers are planning to stay there (as it happens, my wife has her eye on that particularly nice spot).

Wondering also if folks on the RC could share how some of the logistics will work... getting to and from the boats on the dinghy, where does the dinghy launch from, how often, and how inconvenient it might be if one stayed at the Resort and wanted to meet at the Tree now and then, buy groceries, load fuel onto the boat... geez, details!

Thx, Paul
    Culebra

Well, I'm not RC, but I can tell you how it typically works. It's about a 15 minute drive from the Princeville resort, where the RC makes their base, down to the town of Hanalei. Hanalei Bay Resort is in the same area and therefore takes about the same amount of time. The gas station that has diesel fuel and the best grocery store for reprovisioning are also in Princeville. Of course, you will need diesel fuel containers if you want to get the diesel back to your boat!

The RC hires a chase boat to meet the racers coming in and it is usually available before or after such duties to carry skippers to shore or back to their boats. However, don't count on it being available at any other time, or after the last racer has arrived, although you never can tell. For a price you can arrange just about anything. Often some of the racers with larger boats will have their own dinghies and are usually happy to help ferry skippers back and forth when they aren't otherwise occupied. In the past, some of the racers have shipped dinghies over and picked them up for use while they are there. Some folks make due with cheap lightweight dinghy-like inflatables in a pinch, which are difficult if not impossible to row to shore against the strong tradewinds, but it can be done. Get everything done in the morning before the tradewinds pick up! It's also possible to rent kayaks from a place in the town of Hanalei, but they can't transport very much. I've done it just about every way possible, and it's certainly nice to have your own dinghy if you can manage it, but it's also quite possible to do without and rely on the kindness of others so long as you make it as easy on them as possible.

The best place to land and launch dinghies from is the mouth of the Hanalei river at the boat ramp or next to the pier if the surf is down. Do not leave your dinghy unattended for any length of time at the launching site because it will get stolen! Best to keep your dinghy attached to your boat or safely tucked away out of sight wherever you may be renting if possible.

And FYI, pretty much everyone meets at the tree every day, not just now and then!

Mark/Alchera
    Last edited by Alchera; 01-31-2010 at 11:44 PM.

Well I'm not RC either . . . no, wait . . .

Some overlap with Mark and jumping around a bit, but here goes:

There are two main areas - Hanalei (the town) and Princeville. If you stay in Hanalei you are within walking distance of the post-race activities, like Tree time and the awards dinner. It's farther but you can also walk to the river where racers will come and go with motorized dinghies. (Those with oars tend to pull them up on the beach if the swell isn't too strong, and this is much closer to town.)

The Hanalei Bay Resort, the R/C condo, the luxurious Princeville Hotel/Resort and more shopping options are up in Princeville. It's also where you can fill your diesel jugs for the trip home. In 2006 we stayed up in Princeville and in 2008 we stayed in Hanalei.

Connie and I stayed at the Hanalei Bay Resort in 2006 and really liked it. There was an open-air restaurant with a great view of Hanalei Bay and wonderful breakfasts, and the tropical birds would fly in and land on your table (some might not like that but we thought it was great). If HBR is the same as it was then, I highly recommend it. You are a ways from Hanalei so a rental car is necessary. Once your "driver" leaves for home, you'll need to be down in town (probably staying on your boat), so plan to do your commissioning for the return trip while you still have wheels.

As nice as the HB Resort was, we MUCH preferred staying in the house in Hanalei (in 2008). The main thing is being closer to the boats and other racers, bumping into each other walking down the road or while having breakfast at the shopping pavilion thing in town - just being a part of what's going on.

No matter where you stay the beepers will keep going off at night - at least in your head. They stop about the same time you no longer feel the need to wear a watch. After that it's all good.

The R/C will be staying in a Princeville condo that faces more to the North (overlooking the finish line) and is in its own complex - no amenities. It's up to Rob and Jim, but since that's the business center for the race and the finish line committee will be up at all hours and sleeping whenever possible, racers should not plan to go there*. Thus the attraction of the Hanalei house as a central gathering spot. I really hope a couple racers step up and rent part of the house.

*Edit: Jim and Rob say visit the condo when you like: http://www.sfbaysss.net/showthread.php?t=488

Logistics - I didn't have a dinghy in 2006 and really felt isolated from my boat and dependent on others to keep an eye on it (remember it's at anchor). In 2008 I took a little Achilles inflatable with oars and I was much more relaxed. I thought I'd want an outboard but just rowing around was good enough. The lack of a motor also made my dinghy less of a theft risk (a problem in 2006). There are no docks - the only access to your boat is by small boat - and there are also no dinghy services - you either have your own or put your thumb out. You CAN impose on others like I did in 2006 and get it all done, but if too many plan to do that it could get awkward.

I think I addressed your questions but fire away if you have more.
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-05-2010 at 11:03 PM.

There are also a number of other places to rent in the town of Hanalei, some of them right across the street from the tree where we all meet in the afternoon. We stayed at Hanalei Bay once or twice and it's very nice, but I far prefer renting down in the town of Hanalei now with it's easy access to the boats and the skippers and all the action.

- Mark

Okay, thanks. Good info. Getting back to the subject of the Hanalei House, turns out that we're getting a place to stay in town (not far from the park, actually), but not at the aforementioned Hanalei House.

Paul

Is anyone else just planning on staying on their boat like I am? Is there a problem with this? When my girlfriend flies over maybe we'll splurge for a room for a few nights, other than that, it's the starboard settee for me!

AJ

I'm planning to stay on the boat, unless the budget miraculously starts looking rosier.

You certainly can stay aboard and many skippers do.

But by the time you get to Hanalei you may want to go ashore for a couple of nights where there's a good shower and more space to stretch out. There is a typical beach shower but I don't know if it even has hot water. Hanalei Bay is not a marina, just an anchorage.

Also remember you'll be in the tropics - it is warm and humid. If you stay aboard you'll probably want a DC fan or two, and a way to keep the rain out of the hatches so you can leave them open. One realizes why yacht designers make such a big deal out of good ventilation.

In my case, we stayed ashore because my wife (2006) and wife/kids (2008) were there and NO WAY were they going to stay aboard my little boat. We made quite the family vacation out of the thing and I had the credit card bill to prove it!
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-05-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Default Staying On The Hook

I will also be staying aboard my boat "Blue Moon" once we get to Hanalei. Kathe my girlfriend will also be staying with me on the hook. So between napping, reading, surfing, and perhaps some more surfing ---for those of you staying away from your boat I will keep an eye on the fleet.

Adam
    s/v Blue Moon
    International Folkboat #175