Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hanalei Housing

Joan and I stayed here in 2008. It's wonderful for two, but two and a family is no problem, as there's a second bedroom.

http://bestvacationinparadise.com/tutu-hanalei.htm

The back deck looks out on an undeveloped area with a small trail that winds through Hanalei behind the market. You walk back there and you feel like you're in Jurassic park. The little house is really very nice, and it's about four-five houses down the street from the Big House that Bob is talking about. It's a super easy walk to the market and less than five minutes stroll to the beach and the Tree.

Joan stayed here by herself for several days before I arrived and loved it.

In 1996 I borrowed a slowly deflating inflatable from a local guy who was nice enough to let me use it, but don't count on that. in 2008 I had a super cheap vinyl inflatable...basically the same sort of quality as a Sevylor Fish Hunter, except I'd got it at a flea market. Chris Humann had The Ticket, if you ask me....it was an inflatable canoe thing, kind of like this...

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...3031&id=590080

My impression is that an inflatable canoe has a bigger payload than an inflatable kayak. The Sevylor Colorado can be rigged up to seat two, or one person. If you put one person in it, you can drop in 75 pounds of junk in dry bags, or two 10 pound jerry cans and you're still easily within the capacity. You probably won't want to schlepp more than 75 pounds, anyway. Anyway, you can get by with a cheapo vinyl one, but if you drop some more cash you'll have something a lot more substantial, but it still won't weight too much. The canoes weight a lot less than an inflatable dinghy. Make sure to get a foot pump to blow it up and don't forget a paddle!
    Last edited by AlanH; 02-05-2010 at 06:22 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

With all due respect to everyone who says that you either 'Will Really Want To' or Simply Must' take lodgings ashore I strongly disagree. In fact, I would go so far as to say it is total bunk and complete phooey!!

I have always been amazed at how most of the guys can't get off their boats fast enough once they finish the race - and then never go back out to check on them for days and days afterwards......not that it's wrong or anything like that I guess ..... but I for one, really quite enjoy hanging out on the boat once I get to Hanalei. I think it helps me enjoy being there more, watching the island from the water (and let's face it, it's how islands were meant to be viewed - that is why they are built way out there in the middle of the ocean in the first place!!)

I have always stayed aboard in the anchorage and found it to be most refreshing......it's cool and breezy through the cabin at night, you can go swimming whenever you want, bugs are not an issue, it's nice and quiet - no street noise ...all in all, it's perfect!!! There are fresh water showers in both parks close by - and outdoor sinks to do your laundry in.

You are on the boat all the time so you can knock-off one or two small jobs a day to keep on top of things and always right there to check on the anchor at night when a squall blows through ( imagine what it would be like waking at 0-dark-30 in a strange bed and worrying about your boat out in the anchorage?)

It's cheap.

And seems to me the whole point of going away on the boat, is to be on the boat - not someplace else..

Jim/Haulback

I have to agree with Jim, if you've got a boat that's big enough to settle in on and relax, then do it. AJ Goldman, you'll be perfectly comfortable. Maybe it's not so much a great idea if you're in a Moore 24 or a Cal 20! But hey, whatever! I stayed on my Ranger 29 in '96 and it wasn't luxury digs and I loved it. "course Joan didn't come over that year, so....
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Thanks Jim, very nice thoughts. We have not met, but I look forward to meeting you. I make a mean Mai Tai, I'll save you one!

Cheers,

AJ

Default Princeville v. Hanalei Bay v. Other Housing

What a virgin I was! The RC Condo reeks with tradition: siting the line with the broom and patio markers, view of finishers coming in, good internet. I didn't dare mess with tradition like last race and this one...could say I wasn't particularly creative.

Bob and Jim are quite clear that The Condo is open for visitors. Sleep? Who sleeps?

In 2004 (I think) everything race HQ was off limits to all but the committee. In 2000 the fleet was so tiny that the awards banquet was a BBQ at the condo. 2002 I hear was middle of these two.

Our family has stayed in a variety of resort condo configurations in Princeville for weddings, grandbaby visits, and racing. I always recommend HBR for its amenities and quick drive to town. The walk to the beach is great too; shared with Princeville.

Some of the racers' welcoming parties took over whole compounds such as The House In Back Of Tahiti Nuie. NaNa and Seabird had plenty of fun and have plenty of experience going there.

I do know that I spent half my time as RC in town, running into people, and in Princeville getting food and beverages for The Daily Tree, leis for the finishers, and getting together with folks. By the way, Kapa'a had the HUGE Safeway and Long's when you want to talk provisioning.

Note to racers: If the outrigger fundraising luau is held while you are there, don't miss it! No frills, plenty of actual Hawaiian dancing from local kids, etc. Nice event!

[redacted]

Lucie