Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top 10 list

Default Ten More

From my 2006 and 2008 lists:

1) Spreader patches on the main (both for unreefed and reefed positions). Your main will be against the spreaders for one to two solid weeks, right?

2) Stanchion patches on the jib where it lays against the pulpit and forward stanchions. (You won't have the kite up ALL the time.)

3) Watertight engine panel cover. (See the cockpit filled with water thread.) Several boats have had their key switches short out from being soaked. Even if you can "hot wire" it to start it, the key switch also activates your regulator. I measured carefully and had the cover made at Tap Plastics. It's held on the panel with bungee cords and hooks.

4) Petzl headlamp - one with the red flip-down lens so you don't kill your night vision. You will use this a LOT because it's "hands free" - I kept mine tied to the companionway ladder where I could easily grab it: http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/tact...eries/tactikka

5) Roller furler screws - trust me, have spares (especially if it's a Harken). There's a good story about Anna Stockel getting outside assistance - ask a SHTP vet. I also put a couple layers of tape around the furler to cover the screws; I think Rob uses a hose clamp to secure Beetle's.

6) Big bean bag for napping in the cockpit (or for long steering sessions).

7) Headsail lighting - you can lash a flashlight to the pulpit but there are lights designed for this. Or you can do like I did and have reflective draft stripes applied to your headsail(s) - Gucci.

8) Spare fuses for everything (label the spares for where they go) and spare bulbs for the nav lights.

9) Spare alternator belt(s) and if you have a high-output alternator consider a spare alternator bracket - they can crack under the load.

10) If you have an ICOM radio, take a spare microphone. Four Icom mic's crapped out in the 2006 race alone. Very frustrating when you can hear but can't talk.
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-03-2010 at 11:18 PM.