Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 membership/Race Registration

Default 2010 membership/Race Registration

Greetings,

The registration process is open for 2010 SSS memberships (still the best deal in town) and Three Bridge Fiasco entrees. We are staying with Compete-At as our on-line system. It isn't perfect but (and we looked) is the best alternative. We discovered that there are several alternatives for race registration but none that accommodote annual membership registrations easily.

This is an evolving process and our needs are a bit different each year. We are doing our best to make racing in SSS races as simple and inexpensive as possible. We hope for perfection but are pleased with progress. If anyone can offer constructive advice and assistance please get in touch. As they said in an old Western, "Don't shoot the piano player, he's doing the best he can".

Bill Merrick
    2010 Commodorte

Default Membership Renewal at Different Levels

Hey there Commodorte,

We've encountered a problem when renewing membership, this being the first year with Compete-At where SSS members can renew from one year to the next. If you want to change from membership at the $160 level to the $135 level, there is no option to change.

Some members in '09 used the SSS as their affiliated sailing organization when registering for YRA races and paid $160. If they want to change this year, there is no way currently to select this option and pay online.

I am sending a check for payment and I'm renewing at the same membership level so this problem did not happen to me. If you do want to change membership levels, you can send a check for the correct amount to avoid paying through the online system but you will have to check the renew at the same level option in the online system.

The Compete At people are aware of the problem. How it will be fixed has yet to be determined. More to follow.

Matt

To Whom it may concern or to who can answer the question.
    I signed up for the three bridge today and noticed that there are so far two boats in my div. I sail an Ericson 35 and the other boat in my div, (single handed #3) is a Wylie Cat 30. Are Wylie Cat 30s still put in there own div.? Is it just a matter of getting more of them signed up at which time they will get there own div.
    I know that there have been bad feelings between the Wylie 30s and the rest of us but there is no question in my mind that those boat have a real advantage over sloops in short handed racing. We all race against each other overall but I like it better when boats that are so different are in different div.

Thanks

Phil

Wyliecat 30's are really challenging to beat out on the race course! My wife and I raced in the YRA party circuit shorthanded division last year and squeezed out a 3rd place. First place went to a Wyliecat, second place went to another Wyliecat, our humble Newport 30 was third, and fourth went to another Wyliecat...at least we got one of them ;-)

In years past, the SH boats have been lumped together into PHRF rating bands (except for Sportboats). There haven't been enough SH boats in each division to separate out the OD classes like we do with DH'ers. (Edit - Except the WylieCats.)

I did 5 sail changes (SH) during last year's 3BF and you can guess how many the WC's did. I have no axe to grind but it's clearly "the horse for the course" for what we do.

Since I'm here, two things: 1) The 2009 results (by race) have disappeared and need to be added to the Archives, and 2) I can't find page 2 of the 2010 3BF SI's which would show the start times by PHRF. Everyone will need those.
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-06-2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Max is right.

Good job to you and the Mrs., Sparky. They are very hard to beat when shorthanded. I can really only remember one time. In the 2003 Double Handed Farallones we corrected out but Silky still beat us across the line. And that was double handed!

BobJ, I hear you. That’s exactly why they have an advantage over us short handed. Fully crewed I don’t think they have that advantage. But single handed most definitely.

It is what it is. Thanks for the clarification. The rest of us in div. 3 SH will just have to try harder.

Thanks

Phil

Default Shorthanded YRA Party Circuit

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Wyliecat 30's are really challenging to beat out on the race course! My wife and I raced in the YRA party circuit shorthanded division last year and squeezed out a 3rd place. First place went to a Wyliecat, second place went to another Wyliecat, our humble Newport 30 was third, and fourth went to another Wyliecat...at least we got one of them ;-)
    Ruben, Congratulations on the 3rd place for the season, but it should be pointed out that you and Robbie only sailed in 4 of the 6 races. And you took a second to Vallejo, not bad in my book. Had you done all the races you might have done even better for the season.

It's easy to make generalizations about one type boat or another. Let's make sure we get the facts straight.

Tom
    Dazzler (WC30)

Default Wyliecat 30s are ALWAYS in their own class

Phil, that's an error. Wyliecat 30s have their own class in all races (except LongPac/TransPac), regardless of how many enter.

I don't envy the new race chairs combing through Compete-At to make sure that everyone picked the right class.

Max

Default YRA party circuit

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Ruben, Congratulations on the 3rd place for the season, but it should be pointed out that you and Robbie only sailed in 4 of the 6 races. And you took a second to Vallejo, not bad in my book. Had you done all the races you might have done even better for the season.

It's easy to make generalizations about one type boat or another. Let's make sure we get the facts straight.

Tom
    Dazzler (WC30)
    Tom, you're right. Unfortunately, we were only able to sail in 4 of 6 races due to a boat mishap and spending time in a boat yard... Regarding the Vallejo race, if I hadn't fouled up a spinnaker takedown at the turn into Mare Island Straits, we may have corrected out better. We enjoy racing against you guys and look forward to another fun year in the Party Circuit.
    Last edited by Sparky; 01-06-2010 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Phil, that's an error. Wyliecat 30s have their own class in all races (except LongPac/TransPac), regardless of how many enter.

Max
    Thanks Max, I was reading the rules last night and saw that.

Phil