Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat Reports and a New Book

Default Boat Reports and a New Book

Where is everyone? I miss our discussions. Are you guys getting up early to work on the boat before work like me? I love the sunrise!

AJ
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-03-2010 at 11:40 PM.

No kidding AJ - it's as quiet as a (insert clever comparative phrase) in here!

Last night I was looking for income tax stuff (yeah, well) and came across three more lists from my 2006 SHTP preparations. I'll see if there's anything interesting on them and if so, I'll update my previous "top ten" list.

A few days ago I made a spreadsheet (CPA's never do that) of the entry documents I've received so far. I'm missing a lot of stuff that is due by April 17th. Unless we specifically talked about something by e-mail ("my dog ate my survey"), that stuff is due about the time I finish all these income taxes. I'd rather not do a bunch of letters with check boxes and all that crap - you know what you still owe me. Each required item was given a lot of thought and we really do want all of it.

Jeanne (Nereida) is about to depart Cape Town on an Easterly route, to see if she can get here for the start. You can check her website: svnereida.com

Finally, Robert and Jeanne Crawford have written a book about Robert's preparation and competition in the 2008 SHTP, in his Cal 20 "Black Feathers." It was just published - I'll post some info about how to buy a copy.

Oh yes, out here, way out I think. Working on the boat at every opportunity. I feel like I'm preparing for a 5-yr world cruise, cramming every upgrade I might wish for in the next ten years into the last 10 months. But hey, working on the boat is just about as fun as sailing the boat... Speaking of which, I better get out and do some of that.

With some cooperation from the weather, the Monitor installation is this weekend's task, probably spill into next weekend, too. Then it's up to Drakes for a shakedown. Who knows, might even get a boat chore or two done while at anchor up there. Anyone want to buddy boat up later in the month, please holler.

Paul
    Culebra

Default Crawfords' boat

I'll buy that book. Please put me on the BUY list. Dura Mater's in Cree's boatyard here in Berkeley, preparing for the big Corinthian race. Big to us. With a PHRF of 273, look out big boats!

Default Black Feather's Book

Here's the e-mail I received:

HOORAY! Our book, Black Feathers—A Pocket Racer Sails The Singlehanded TransPac has been published.

This book, a joint effort between, my wife, Jeanne and myself, relates the story of our 2008 Singlehanded TransPac adventure—the preparation, the race and the fulfillment of the dream—from both our perspectives.

For those few who haven’t already heard the basics, this race is sailed solo with no engine from San Francisco to Kauai, Hawaii, approximately 2200 miles across the Pacific Ocean every two years on even numbered years. I opted to sail this race in my 1961 Cal 20, yes, a 20-foot boat, making Black Feathers the smallest boat to ever complete this race, doing so in 19 days, 21 hours.

Some of you, who have been onboard from the beginning and eagerly awaiting the book, we thank for your support and patience.

Our book contains our adventure story and features more than 60 photos and diagrams. The final segment is a how-to manual for those sailors who might be considering an ocean voyage in a small sailboat.

The book may be available at your local bookstore and/or library. It IS available through Barnes and Noble, and Amazon.com selling for $20.95.

We will be presenting the book at various book signings in the Sonora area (watch the Union Democrat for announcements), as well as presentations at various yacht clubs in the San Francisco Bay Area and along the west coast. If you wish to receive a personal notification, just reply back and we’ll let you know when we’ll be in your area.

If you would like us to do a complimentary presentation for your organization, please contact us at synergy43@yahoo.com or (209) 586-4266.

I just bought the book from Amazon and read it. It's a must for anyone who's thinking of doing this race . . . it gives the "feel" of crossing an ocean in a small boat, and also gives good practical advice. If you've done the race, it's a good read just to compare notes.

- Tom Kirschbaum, Feral

Default All Quiet On The...

Bob + AJ--"Quiet as a Church Mouse"...Is that what you guys were thinking? I would have to agree with Paul that my sailing to working ratio on my boat currently is way out of wack! That will be changing pretty soon though...I have a few more things to slap on Blue Moon and we will be planning our offshore qualifying jaunt pretty soon! Who else out there is in need of a qualifying sail? I know there was talk of a group heading out the Gate in tandem this month-- and chatting all the way out and all the way back? I have been in touch with Ronnie aboard Warriors Wish but haven't really touched base with anyone else on that topic. Paul, the new boat jewelry you have hanging off of Culebra's transom looks very very nice I thought my new tiller was going to attract some attention in our Marina but your Monitor completely stole the show...from what I have seen...I think Paul and AJ are in the running for the "Nicest, Cleanest, Eat Scrambled Eggs + Toast out of the Bilge" sailboat award...Who else could be in the running?

Adam
    s/v Blue Moon

Default A name?

The forum is pretty quiet again... thought I'd announce with great enthusiasm that the Monitor installation is complete, whew! The SSB install is now underway. Thankfully June 19 is fast approaching, for if it weren't, then this boat project mania might never end.

Now for a name? Everyone name's their monitor, right? Maybe I'll hold off the naming until the sail home from the islands is complete.

Paul
    Culebra/Olson 34

Carly? ("You're so vane - I'll bet you think this song is about you . . . .")

Sorry - all the good ones were taken.

Now that's funny!