Thread: ICOM SSBs

Default ICOM SSBs

Hi all, I've been having fun watching quite a few ICOM SSB radios auction off on eBay. Some of you may even be the lucky buyers! So a question... does anyone know what the salient differences are between any of the following: the M802, M710, M700PRO, and M700? There was also one called M700TY. From what I can tell, they all have programmable frequencies and would work equally well if all one wanted to do is talk or receive a weatherfax (and didn't care about the obvious differences in weight and modular packaging). What features make the M802 so much more expensive, I wonder (at 50% greater cost vs. the M700PRO, comparing new unit prices)?

Thanks, Paul
    Culebra

Quote Originally Posted by Culebra View Post
    What features make the M802 so much more expensive, I wonder?
    The little black "e-mail" button. It's like the vacuum cleaner in Steinbeck's "Tortilla Flat*"

Okay seriously, the 802's control head is light, isn't putting out any bad juju and can be mounted where you want it (in my boat's case, right above the nav shelf). The heavy box can go somewhere else where it won't get wet, can get all hot and can put out all the bad juju it wants. Mounting a 700Pro or 710 in my boat would be pretty tough.

* A story about idyllic poverty - my doesn't THAT strike a familiar chord for us SHTP'ers!
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-29-2010 at 02:13 AM.

how about the Icom 706MKIIG or the Yaesu FT-875D?