Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boat Reports and a New Book

I just got done reading Black Feathers. It gives a nice feel for the camaraderie of the race. A good source for anybody thinking of going this year or in the future.

I had something come up and I am stuck in Port Townsend until the end of the week. I hope to get to know you guys better in the coming months.

-jak

Default A Monitor Without A Name Is Like....

Paul...
    As far as naming one's windvane...if mine didn't already have a name...I would go with "Mr. T" but that is just me... You really can't go wrong with an A-Team reference can you? "First Name Mista, Middle Name Period, Last Name T"... "I pity the fool...." In fact, if you don't jump on this naming opportunity I may just have to snatch up the name for my Autopilot And, "Don't Gimme No Back Talk, Sucka".....

Adam
    s/v Blue Moon

Default Autopilot names

Eyrie's autopilot is named Leona Hems(a)ley, "Queen of Mean" bad-ass downwind driving with the kite up in the dark. And when Eyrie is wearing the spinnaker thong... beware brother, beware.

Synthia/Eyrie
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

My autopilot is named Charlie.

Charlie don't surf.

Adrian

Autohelm pilots are often named Otto. But last year I had a Simrad, so I settled on Sinbad. Now I have a Raymarine, so ... Ray? And I don't know what to call Phil's Monitor that I'm borrowing. Maybe Merrimac.

My relationship with the self-steering gear isn't quite so anthropomorphic:

Monitor Windvane - "windvane"
    Alpha pilot - "alpha pilot"
    Comnav pilot - "comnav"

Perhaps I'm missing out on something here... though I do have long conversations with the boat.

- rob/beetle

When my autopilot gets my through a rough patch, I give it a big wet kiss, don't tell my girlfriend (oh yea, she already knows).

AJ