Thread: BLACK FEATHERS Book Published

Default BLACK FEATHERS Book Published

For those of you not already aware, Robert and Jeanne Crawford have recently published their experiences of the '08 SHTP in a Cal 20: BLACK FEATHERS, A POCKET RACER SAILS THE SINGLEHANDED TRANSPAC.

This is an excellent book of significant value to all who may sail offshore in small boats. It is a complete compendium of boat prep and practical experience including a riveting description of BF breaking her rudder at the half-way point, and Robert's efforts to re-establish steering.

This book is an intimate look inside what the SHTP meant to this wonderful couple. I highly recommend to all.

Available on Amazon.

~sleddog
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-07-2010 at 05:04 PM.

Default Black Feathers, A Pocket Racer Sails the Singlehanded Transpac is a Great Read

After Bill Merrick, the 2009-2010 SSS Commodore mentioned this weekend that there was a book about Black Feathers, I immediately went on Amazon and ordered a copy. I've seen this Cal 20 in the South Beach Marina and taken a close look at all the equipment setup for ocean racing.

Black Feathers, A Pocket Racer Sails the Singlehanded Transpac is a great read. The detailed accounts of high emotions and reasoning behind what is needed to achieve the accomplishment of completing the SSS Transpac were especially interesting to me. The specific details about what is needed for a small boat to be equipped properly for this type of voyage will be of use to me now and in the future.

My compliments to Robert and Jeanne Crawford for compiling this book. The people in Oregon with the large Cal 20 fleet weren't the only people interested in your story. I'm glad that there was a list of small boats that have competed in the SSS Transpac over the years that included my Wilderness 21. The reading of this book has give me new inspiration to consider what would be needed for Tinker to compete in this event.

I'm still considering selling Tinker and getting a Moore 24 or larger sportboat to make the trip in less time. When Alan took Ankle Biter to Hawaii, sold the boat there and flew back, this gave me another possible consideration. Anyone know someone in Hawaii that would like to buy a well equipped Wilderness 21?

Thanks again to Robert for this great book. I recommend anyone seriously interested in the SSS or Transpac should pick up a copy.

It just went on my "I want for my birthday" list!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Hey Alan,

When is your birthday? I'll buy you a copy of Robert's book.

Synthia/Eyrie
    Last edited by AlanH; 03-25-2010 at 11:50 AM.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Hey Alan,

When is your birthday? I'll buy you a copy of Robert's book.

Synthia/Eyrie
    Oh, my 29th Birthday is sometime in June. I think... Gosh, I....

where's my coffee? and my glasses? ... and my Depends?
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"