Thread: Very General question...

Default Very General question...

well my skip and I would like to do the YRA lightship on our Cal20 Can O WhoopAss... Were working thru the manditory equipment list ....

Any real life suggestions on upgrading a 40 + year old boat for its first Ocean race ?

any help or suggestions appreciated, thanks

-Paul Sutchek

Default Re:Very general question

Quote Originally Posted by PSutchek View Post
    well my skip and I would like to do the YRA lightship on our Cal20 Can O WhoopAss... Were working thru the manditory equipment list ....

Any real life suggestions on upgrading a 40 + year old boat for its first Ocean race ? Any help or suggestions appreciated, thanks

-Paul Sutchek
    In the open bay, let alone out the gate on Blueberry, I wear these:

1) A Mustang Survival MS2075 Coverall Flotation and Worksuit for Hypothermia and Flotation protection.

2) A handheld GPS and a handheld VHF (better yet one of the newer combined VHF/GPS with a DSC call button tethered to an inside pocket of the suit in case your Cal 20 gets slapped by a breaking wave that perhaps caused the breakup of Daisy in the IYC Lightship race.

Cal 20's were a force to be reckoned with in the MORC racing circuit back in the day. You and your boat will likely live up to its name.

John
    Blueberry, Nonsuch 22, sail #48

A boarding ladder of some kind is a must for safety, and might not be on the required list. I used to carry a home made version, and later I got one made by Plastimo... very nice.

The Lightship course, because of swells interfering with the complex bottom and shore features, can dish out some nasty seas, especially this time of year. So besides required equipment, be sure your rig and rudder are up to the task. Stay warm, and have a blast!

Paul
    Culebra/Olson 34

Default RE: Preparing a CAL20 for the ocean

If you don't already known Steve Seal in Alameda, you should. www.sealsspars.com

About Seal’s Spars & Rigging
    Steve Seal was the rigger at Jensen Marine (builders of the Cal line of sailboats) from 1964 through 1969. In 1970 Steve moved to the San Francisco Bay Area and started Seal's Spars & Rigging. Steve raced Cal 20’s throughout the 1970’s, winning the national championship in 1977. Steve has also owned a Santana 22, a Cal 2-27, and a Wyliecat 30, and worked extensively with these classes (as well as other classes) to solve spar and rigging problems. Seal’s Spars & Rigging specializes in OEM and specialty parts and spars for 20' to 30' “Plastic Classics”.

Tom

Since we were dismasted on the Sunday of the Great Vellejo race last year , We pretty much have a NEW rig , and from what my skipper has told me , we have one size larger diameter rigging than the stock Cal20...

Steve Seal recieved a call from us almost quarterly while we were "BREAKING " in the boat . and after my first three years I'm calming down and going about my buisness in a much smoother mannor.

Steve also came up to us after the YRA's HDA race out to point Bonita in the second half opener last year , I was out on trapeze , Richard was not even calling the short tacks along the north Marin headlands while we were trying to avoid the 5+ knot flood. He ( Steve S. ) was amazed that we made it , while passing many other boats and finished 55 min in front of the second place boat in our division....

I just wish there were other Cal20 racers out there !

I like the idea about making sure the rudder is attached to the boat , IT WILL BE DONE....

and I'm now looking for a simple compact boarding ladder , although the boat is so close to the water that Richard can grab my hand and pull me on board .... Don't ask ....

Quote Originally Posted by PSutchek View Post
    I'm now looking for a simple compact boarding ladder , although the boat is so close to the water that Richard can grab my hand and pull me on board .... Don't ask ....
    Yeah, I got the visual of the man-overboard situation... been there too. Here's the ladder I referenced... a bit pricey but a very intelligent design. There are probably less expensive suppliers for this product than West. But for me this is worth the price.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...4&ci_sku=81624

Paul
    Culebra/Olson 34

I have two of the four-step Plastimo ladders - I tie one aft on each side where I can slide back to them while tethered to my outboard jackline.

I bought them at a decent discount from a company called MariSafe. MariSafe often lists them on E-Bay at an even further discount - I'd check there first.