Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SSB-tuner interconnect question

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanslogic View Post
    Hello everyone...
    I pretty much have my SSB set up...and have the area where I will install the tuner...but I was wondering if it mattered if the tuner was mounted vertically (like on a bulkhead) or horizontally??? I would prefer to mount it vertically....Thanks for any help or info on this matter...

Adam
    s/v Blue Moon
    International Folkboat #175
    Check to see if the cooling vents are set up to use natural convection or a cooling fan. If you have a fan, the orientation probably doesn't matter that much. If it relies on convection only, then make sure the orientation allows the air to flow naturally from low to high through the unit.

- Mark

Default mount tuner with one water drain facing downwards

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanslogic View Post
    Hello everyone...
    I pretty much have my SSB set up...and have the area where I will install the tuner...but I was wondering if it mattered if the tuner was mounted vertically (like on a bulkhead) or horizontally??? I would prefer to mount it vertically....Thanks for any help or info on this matter...

Adam
    s/v Blue Moon
    International Folkboat #175
    BobJ email above dated 3-11-10 has a link to AT-130 tuner PDF download, p.4 "mounting instructions" state either horizontal or vertical mounting with one of the water drains facing downwards.....Sam S 'aire......

Exclamation SSB - Help

I recently (today) finished my SSB installation and need to test it. In addition, I have no clue how to operate this radio. Is there a SSB person who can walk me through it and who I can attempt to talk with (on the radio)?

Default Sunday afternoon?

George, I'd also like to do a test call. I think Eva of Fri is interested too. Sunday afternoon would be my first opportunity. Anybody else?

I doubt I can help you with operating the thing, other than "turn it on and twist the dial until you see a frequency that you recognize". Try Brian Boschma, he's given me some good advice.

Max

Tiger Beetle is available most evenings for an SSB radio check; I would be in the slip, so communications are not that good as compared to being out in the bay (marina has lots of RF noise and adjacent masts soak up the broadcast signal).

Let me know (via phone or email) if there's a convenient evening to try out the radio. I'm using an Icom M802, and won't know much about operating other radios. Simple thing to do is bring up WWV to see how the tuner and receiver are working.

- rob/beetle

I am available evenings as well, but the surrounding terrain might make it hard to reach as far as California. I'd like to give it a try though. Later in the evening is probably better for propagation. I can be on the air on Sunday afternoon, and I'll probably be out in the open sailing as well.

I definitely heard Fri last time.

Adrian
    Idefix

VALIS will be at sea May 30-31 (Sunday-Monday) as we return home from the Spinnaker Cup, and I would be happy to help with a radio check. I might be able to do one during the race (Fri-Sat), depending on how hectic things are.

Quote Originally Posted by glythcott View Post
    I recently (today) finished my SSB installation and need to test it. In addition, I have no clue how to operate this radio. Is there a SSB person who can walk me through it and who I can attempt to talk with (on the radio)?
    George,

I am just getting caught up on the forum. I just bought a 710 and I think most everything you need to know is in the manual which is available on line if you got a used radio and it didn't come with it. If you haven't gotten help already and you have specific questions, I would be happy to try to help. You already have my email address. I can also participate in radio checks if I know when and where.

John H
    Dream Chaser