Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSB-tuner interconnect question

Default SSB-tuner interconnect question

With profuse thanks to Scott Prusso, I have the use of an Icom M700 Pro and AT-130 tuner for the SHTP. I've emailed Scott the following question, but he's out on the ocean somewhere.

There's a 4-conductor control cable that runs between the radio and tuner, and I have to connect the four wires to terminals inside the tuner box. The Icom manual has a little schematic of the connector at the radio end of the cable, on which the four conductors are identified, but it's not clear to me whether the labels apply when I'm looking at the front or the back of the connector (and which connector, M or F).

The four conductors are labeled:
    Key
    Start
    E

Can I assume that the red wire is 13.6, ie positive power? That's one of the two possible interpretations of the diagram.

TIA ... Max

Default Look at this link

Max, I don't know the answer to your question, but be sure to go to this Sailnet thread and check out the wealth of basic information there. Also check a PM from me. One thing very interesting... it is recommended not to connect the tuner ground lug (with the wing nut) to anything, and not to connect the radio ground terminal to anything. Obviously do connect the power + and - terminals, but not the third one designated as ground. This is (they say) a common source of very bad interference with other boat systems.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electr...tallation.html

Paul
    Culebra

Default One more thing

I should correct something I said... obviously you have to connect your antenna ground or counterpoise to the tuner ground lug. The important thing (they say) is not to connect that ground to your boat systems, not the engine especially, since that is tied into the negative side of the batteries and house panel. No copper foil connecting the tuner to the engine... a no-no. That gound should be completely independent of all other boat systems. And again, the radio ground terminal should connect to nothing (even though the ICOM manual says to connect it).

Paul
    Culebra

Max, it looks like the answer may be in here:

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/downlo...x?Category=137

Paul, Don at HF Radio says the same thing about not connecting the radio's ground.

However I did run a second copper foil from the tuner to the engine when the foil from the tuner to the keel bolt proved insufficient, so I can't agree on that one.

SSB counterpoises are all voodoo science anyway.
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-11-2010 at 02:06 PM.

Default Voodoo Science

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    SSB counterpoises are all voodoo science anyway.
    For a fun read on the voodoo science of radials and counterpoise (well... depends on a person's idea of fun), check out this article:

http://www.antennex.com/shack/Dec06/cps.html

Paul
    Culebra

That guy cannot possibly have a life.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    That guy cannot possibly have a life.
    You are right, he died in 2008. However, a very active memorial site

http://cebik.com/

with mailing list forums lives on. There you can find more than you ever wanted to know about a world of antenna enthusiasts. I am a subscriber to their mailing list. Why?

My first diploma (from Ryerson in Toronto) in 1958 left me anomalously proficient with a large circular slide rule dedicate to antenna and antenna feed line calculations. Fifty something years ago does not seem all that long to be interested in something. After all, I bought my first cat rigged boat sixty three years ago. (grin)

John
    Blueberry, Nonsuch 22 sail # 48

I am thinking of buying an ICOM 710 SSB on eBay. Does anyone know this unit? Will it do the trick (assuming it is in good working condition)?

Default Tuner orientation

Hello everyone...
    I pretty much have my SSB set up...and have the area where I will install the tuner...but I was wondering if it mattered if the tuner was mounted vertically (like on a bulkhead) or horizontally??? I would prefer to mount it vertically....Thanks for any help or info on this matter...

Adam
    s/v Blue Moon
    International Folkboat #175

My AT-140 is mounted horizontally on the inside wall of the cockpit. I don't think orientation matters as long as the tuner is as close as possible to the antenna.

I have a line (RFI) isolator in the tuner-to-radio control cable, at the tuner end, and two ferrite chokes in the cable at the radio end. Also try to keep the control cable away from your autopilot cables, if applicable. It avoids the "key the mike to gybe the boat" scenario.