Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epirb

Default Timotimo reply & CG Contact

1) I think you may be referring to OYRA racing when you ask about Drake's Bay (there is no SSS race up there) and perhaps HMB (there are both SSS and OYRA races down that way). OYRA does require a 406 device (EPIRB/PLB) for its races.
    2) I think it's appropriate for individuals to contact the CG as long as they do not represent themselves as spokespeople for a Racing Authority (SSS, BAMA, IYC, OYRA, PacCup, etc.). They are a public agency and part of their responsibility is dealing with interested sailors
    3) CG personnel are transferred to new positions about every 2 years, so there are often new faces. Those of you who attended the the YRA/CG meeting at the StFYC last year may be surprised to know that only one CG person who attended that meeting remains on duty here.
    4) I think it would be a good idea to take CG personnel sailing and/or to the race deck. But (and it's a BIG BUT!) the demonstration MUST go according to the letter of the law/SIs/procedures. YRA has done just that in the past.
    -- Pat Broderick

Default epirb

Quote Originally Posted by P. Broderick - Elaine View Post
    2) I think it's appropriate for individuals to contact the CG as long as they do not represent themselves as spokespeople for a Racing Authority (SSS, BAMA, IYC, OYRA, PacCup, etc.). They are a public agency and part of their responsibility is dealing with interested sailors
    I don't get the logic. If I had a question for the OYRA about a safety rule I should just skip the YRA/OYRA and call the Coast Guard direct?

These sailor are calling about rule clarification for a SSS race, not a race run by the US Coast Guard, they simply issue a permit. They should be contacting the SSS officers who set the rules and organize the race they want to participate in.

Default Contacting the CG

Solosailor,
    I think I made myself clear when I said individuals should not contact the CG in the name of an organization. But, it is a public agency and I think it needs to hear from the public it represents. When (and if) the EPIRB requirement works its way through their levels and comes back for public review, I think the CG will be surprised, if not shocked, to hear that what they are doing and how they are doing it is very upsetting to large numbers of Bay Area sailor/racers - particularly the "how" part. Perhaps hearing from some of the commoners now might alert them to how their actions are being perceived on the water. By the public they serve.
    A few years ago "safety checks" were the hot CG/sailing pubic button. Lat. 38 provided a platform for individuals to voice their outrage at being stopped time after time. I was stopped several times in Richardson Bay, and passed each time. I know some individuals also contacted the CG directly because I was one of them. While safety checks still occur, I think you'll agree that they have become less frequent, perhaps more reasonable.
    I should add that whenever an individual contacts a government agency I think a rational, thoughtful, factual presentation will always trump a wild Constitutional personal freedom shotgun attack.
    Pat Broderick, speaking as an individual

Default Amended Sailing Instructions with EPIRB Requirement

For those that have been following this thread on our forum, the EPIRB requirement for off-shore races is now posted in the amended 2010 SSS Notice of Race and Sailing Instructions. http://sfbaysss.org/2010/PDF/ssi_3-26-10.pdf

Default The Answer

Quote Originally Posted by seancanavan View Post
    There is a lot of talk about the requirement of an EPIRB for the offshore races. Will we be required to have one for the Farallones race and/or the Half Moon Bay race? If so, does anyone have any insight about what/which/where to buy one?

The answer to this question is: Yes, you are required to have a, "Registered EPIRB or PLB operating on 406 MHz," for the 2010 Singlehanded Farallones and Half Moon Bay races.

Since there aren't any more letters in the alphabet, I think this is a good time to collectively resolve that SSS won't add another requirement without removing one.

That was my rule when reviewing the RR&C's for the SHTP and I'll throw that out as a suggestion for the other races. This isn't a commentary on the EPIRB deal (seems like we didn't have much choice), but otherwise I am being serious.
    Last edited by BobJ; 04-02-2010 at 09:09 AM.

I borrowed an EPIRB from a friend and had to go through some registration options to get things set up properly.

Depending on how it was registered, you need to update the emergency contact phone # via these links at NOAA Beacon Registration.
    It's free.