Thread: Farallones Race Signups?

Default Farallones Race Signups?

I went to the event management site and found that the Farrallones Race registration will only be open one day? Is that correct or is it a computer glitch? I may not have computer access that day and may also miss the skipper's meeting. Is there another way to enter?

Thanks,
    -jak

Hi Jak,

It's a glitch. Registrations will open later this week and will remain open until 2400 on May 12. We want to make sure that we have all the bases covered for the information we need for the race permit and not have to ask for additional things after folks have registered.

Bill Merrick

so does this means that the skippers meeting is on the 12th not the 19th?

Default PLB Rentals, if you need one for the SHF

http://www.plbrentals.com/

Only $54 included post paid envelope for returning it.

I also would like to know whether the skippers meeting is the 12th and not the 19th (Wed before) as in previous outings.
    Respectfully, Thom

SeaRail 19, SriRacha

The skippers meeting is on the 12th. The reason for the extra days is to get the paperwork to the Coast Guard in time for the race. The Half Moon Bay Race (The other SSS ocean race) skippers meeting will be on August 18th, ten days before the race for the same reason.

Default Expect reduced participation

A "lot" of people like to wait for offshore races to get a better picture of the likely wind/waves. In years' past there were many folks who waited until the Wed before or even the Thurs (or Friday) and begged to be admitted at the very last moment. So our 33rd running of the race will likely have low participation (or a lot of unhappy campers because "that's not the way we've done it in the past").

I suggest that a general email be sent to all the participants in the 3BF this year (easily done using the Compete-At software) to notify folks of the moved-up deadline as well as skippers meeting. Yah, it is spam to many of them, but many do not read the forum.

Respectfully, Thom

SeaRail 19, SriRacha

Thanks for the suggestion, Thom. The Skippers' meetings for Farallones (May 12) and HMB are indeed a week earlier than for in-the bay races so that we can get the required float plan done for the CG. For the same reason, we are enforcing the deadline ergo, no late registrations will be accepted.

I'll also include the fact that a 406 EPIRB or PLB is required. Folks can beg, borrow but not steal a 406 for the "offshore" races. If borrowed, the unit dosen't have to be re-registered but the unit's emergency contact information is needed to complete the registration.

Folks will also notice that we are including an alternate in-the- bay course in the event that we don't get a permit. We certainly want and expect to go around tha rocks but want to be able to run a race regardless of what happens on the morning of May 22.

Bill Merrick
    SSS Commodore

Default PLB question

I just got a plb for this race. I registered it online with NOAA/SARSAT and have the confirmation email/letter from them, will this be sufficient for registering for the race? Also when i went to sign up for the race i only saw a EPIRB section on the forms if we are using a plb should we just use this section? I do not yet have the decal number, if it does not come by the 13th am I SOL?

Thanks.

Default PLB question

Hi Fullkeel,

Use the EPIRB section to register your PLB. It'll work. We're in the process of looking for a new vendor for our membership/race registration software and this is one of the reasons. Compete-At isn't very responsive in making changes.

The sticker question is stickier. Yes, we'll take your registration if it is complete in all other respects by the 13'th BUT you need to get the sticker date to us as soon as you get it.

Bill Merrick
    SSS Commodore

Default EPIRB Borrow

Hello,

I've registred for the race with Atcompete.
    I am borrowing an EPIRB and awaiting the information, should have it by tomorrow the latest.

Are there any tips on which part of the info to update. I read the emergency contact info needs to be updated for the race (to mine) and then it can be changed back. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thank you!