Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Participants and Interest Levels

Cool Go West!

Once the trailer tires thaw from being frozen to the ground, we will make final preperations to head west, that and a few other items on the list... Polar Bear is a 5 on interest and a 4.5 on the reality scale.

Eric Thomas Olson 30, Lake Superior

Default summer sailing

Haulback and I will almost certainly be along this year to join everyone for a nice little sail across to the islands.

Jim/Haulback

Since the only reason I do this race is to have a chance to beat Phil and since Phil isn't racing this year, Ergo and I will be staying here this summer.

Bill Merrick

Alchera is still planning to go, interest level still at 4 and holding. But Alchera wishes Arch Enemy Tiger Beetle would come along too. Looking forward to seeing Haulback again as a competitor, though he played the harbormaster role so well, it will be hard to replace him.

- Mark

Thanks for the replies so far. Please don't overlook the other TransPac thread titled 'The Marketing Machine' regarding local printed news sources in your area. We want to spread the word about our race to an interested audience, and whom more interested than your neighbors?!? Might even get you a complementary cup-o-joe at the corner Starbucks.

Synthia
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

I posted this on the SSS thread last week and, based on my own pattern of looking at topics, figure that some SHTP participants may have missed it.

Sail Magazine is intetested in publishing an article on the SHTP in their June or July issue. I am collecting information for them. They want to cover things like:

History of the race

Description of the race (length, strategies, squall tactics, etc.)

The boats (types, largest, smallest, etc.)

The skippers (4 or 5 of the racers who represent the fleet (oldest, youngest, most experienced, least experienced, etc).

Preparation, equipment, modifications, etc.

Any suggestions, advice, etc. is needed and wanted. If you have any questions, please contact me at 415-331-8820.

Bill Merrick

Bill I am doing my second race of this type, Bermuda 1-2 last year , Transpac this year and then hopefully Ostar in 2009. It is interesting to see the differences in the saftey and equipment regs between each of the races. Might make an interesting piece for one of the publications.

Hi Bill,

Here are a couple of notes on my boat and myself. 63 years old (me not the boat. The boat's just a youngster at 31 years old). 26' Contessa. Putting radar/plotcharter, SSB, Monitor windvane, 1 solar panel, 3 new lifeline batteries, rigging stuff, design and install traveler. So how come the list just gets longer... No experience, first time SHTP but race with PSSA to qualify (Guadalupe Race 700nm).

Ragtime!'s interest level officially remains at 3. It's actually 5+ but I'm mired in the logistics, since I may not have the extra time this year to sail the boat home.

Eric Thomas's quote from Matson http://www.sfbaysss.net/showpost.php?p=341&postcount=19 blew me out of the water. I just got a quote from PASHA of $5,800. This is Honolulu to San Diego - they don't ship to Oakland like Matson does. It assumes a total weight (with trailer) of 9,500#, includes a fuel surcharge of 26% (an extra $1,100!), and some wharfage fees at each end. It does not include yard work to decommission the boat/prepare it for shipment, or ground transportation to PASHA's terminal. I plan to talk with the PASHA rep next week to see if there are any existing arrangements with the PacCup fleet which might lower the costs.

My boat is a J/92 (30' x 10' x 12.5' high) and weighs 5,500#. I don't have a trailer so I would need to buy, rent or borrow one.

I have also been looking into having someone else sail it home. Someone shipping a smaller boat back, who has the extra time might be a good candidate. I welcome all suggestions and leads at this point - Ragtime! really wants to do the race again.
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-11-2008 at 07:09 PM.

Johnson, Scott - Islander 30 - Monterey, Ca - Interest 5 #88