Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Participants and Interest Levels

Unhappy

I grossly underestimated the amount of time (and money, for that matter) that it would take to prepare for the SHTP. Bottom line...I won't be able to make the race this year.

I'll continue with my preparation so that I don't run into the same situation next time.

To all those who succeed in getting to the starting line in July, know that you have my respect and admiration. Hopefully, I'll be able to join your ranks in 2010.
    John Barthelmass
    2.7 Seconds
    Columbia 30 SY

I'm sure sorry to hear that John.

When I started doubting whether I would be ready I hired out a couple of the bigger jobs to get back on track (the autopilot upgrade and the e-rudder). More money for sure, but a few things make the financial pain fade fast:

1) One of those amazing nights in the trades when you're barreling along under spinnaker with a full moon and warm steady breeze, and you don't want to take your nap because the sailing is so great.

2) When the SHTP R/C announces over the VHF: "2.7 Seconds has just finished the 2008 Singlehanded TransPac."

3) When you are resting at anchor in Hanalei Bay and you look up the mountains around you, and you can't believe one spot on this Earth could be so beautiful.

4) When you come to the Tree for the first time after finishing and those who preceded you all start clapping and cheering.

And other things like that.

Bob J.

John,

I agree with Bob. If you are getting behind, then farm some of the work out. Borrow money if you have to. It will probably be all paid off by 2010 anyway and you will have great memories. 2010 is a long way off......... What the heck, you may want to do it again in 2010. Most of us that are doing it for the first time have a huge and expensive preparation list, so you're not alone.

John H.

Hey John,

I'm also sorry to hear. Possibly you'll reconsider with the input of the posts before this one as motivation. I also kind of lost the Aloha and feeling of sailing in trades and the constantly warm breezes that all contribute to a wonderful experience. This is my first time doing the SHTP as you know but have sailed a little in the trades. The previous couple of posts renewed my resolve.

As far as money, time, labor etc. -- what a monumental task. But I've had to borrow some money and also farm out more and more tasks as the race gets nearer. Bishop Rock race is February, full moon and Guadalupe is March, full moon so deadlines are approaching.

Best,

Rich
    Horizon

Hi John, You Can Do It! The gun hasn't fired yet! Who says we're going to be here in 2010? If you ever need to feel motivated about your position, come see me and I'll show you what being behind is really like Just do your best, then go with what you've got.

Default Hold the bus! hold the bus!

To all,

My entry form and check went in the mail tonight - I don't know how, but I'm gonna be there. I've got a lot of work to do, and a lot of logistics to work out, but I'm gonna do my best to make it.

A particular thanks to those who responded to my earlier posting - it was your words of encouragement that convinced me to push harder to be ready.
    John Barthelmass
    2.7 Seconds
    Columbia 30 SY

Congratulations John, you have just receive your first big helping of what the SSS is known for, the Competitor-Comrade Special. Many more servings to follow. And for dessert, the cherished belt buckle accompanied by the accolades from your peers.

Cheers!
    Synthia/Eyrie
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Way to go John!

- Mark/Alchera

Hey John,

Waytogo! See you for the race around Catalina on the 9th! Looking forward to learning the AS or Symmetrical

Rich
    Horizon
    ----------

Default Provisional Race Entrants

Thought you'd all like to know that as of this mornings run to the PO Box, we currently have 14 provisional race entrants ranging from the smallest Cal 20, up to the largest Open 60, to the widest Hammerhead 54, and a whole assortment in-between. The fleet is about half returning vets and half first timers. I hope to get something posted to the web site soon showing names and boats and faces.

Thanks to the early entrants for giving me some relief that I'm not planning a big party that no one will attend. As for the rest of you, don't let the $100 price increase keep you from joining in, for the experience is priceless. Well, compared to the cost of getting to the starting line, $100 isn't much, and you will surely regret missing the start more than if you lost $100 on a Superbowl bet.

Synthia
    08SHTP RC
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image