Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Participants and Interest Levels

Feral - International Folkboat - #637 - interest level 5. Although this will be a bit less fun without my "archenemy" the Carole E and without my photofinisher from the '03 farallones race Ergo.

- Tom Kirschbaum

Thanks, Tom. Our race in from the Farallons ranks right up there with me also.

Re: returning Ragtime from Hanalei. In '04 I traded cash for time with a Moore 24 and it worked out ok. Ergo got home in great shape, the Moore 24 saved on shipping but the experience wasn't great for either of us. If I were to do it again, I'd find a skipper from the race and 1 or 2 crew with offshore experience and/or good familiarity with the type boat being returned. I think familiarity with the type boat is as important as offshore experience. First time racers at least know their boats and, as almost all of us have learned, during a 2100 nm passage, something is going to break or at least develop quirks.

If I were sailing back myself again I'd definitely have at least one crew member. It may be an amazing experience to go both ways alone but if things go bad on the return having another body on board could make a big difference. Whether I was sailing back myself or having the boat sailed back, it would be doublehanded or crewed. It should also be considered that with crew it might be possible to get insurance coverage.

Bill Merrick

Hayward, John, Valiant 40, Livermore,CA, Interest level 5 (will be handing checks for membership, entry fee and almost all of the completed entry forms to Rob or Synthia at the seminar tomorrow night. I have to go now, just rented a house in Princeville for wife, brother, father, etc. to (hopefully) see me cross the finish line.

John

Lebesch, Jeff - Hammerhead 54 - #1554 - Oakland, CA - interest = entry submitted - $700

Unhappy Transpac interest

Hello,

I must make 2 changes to the interest list. First, I sold my Freedom 21 and bought an SC27 (Velocious from GW) so I would have a faster crossing and maybe work a one design start with Ankle Biter. Unfortunately, I won't have the time to take off this summer, so my plans have changed to get to know the boat and do my qualifier in hopes of a '10 SHTP. So please take my name off the list for this year, George McKay (now of Velocious, SC27)

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I plan to talk with the PASHA rep next week to see if there are any existing arrangements with the PacCup fleet which might lower the costs.
    An update - I had a great conversation with PASHA and there is a high level of interest in putting a package together for us. They gave me a provisional quote which is substantially lower than what I wrote in my earlier post. There will also be package options to get boats back to the Bay Area from PASHA's terminal in San Diego.

Please get in touch with me if the return shipping is a factor in your decision to race.

Hi Bob,

I am currently planning on sailing back but if the numbers are right I might ship back.
    I have a trailer which I would have to get to San Diego from SF for shipment to Hawaii and then fly back to SF. I am also concerned about the timing of the shipment since I have to get the boat back to NC eventually. With trailer I weigh in around 7500lbs and around 50' LOA with the mast on deck, boat is 31' .
    Thanks for your efforts, Don

Hey Bob,
    Like Don, I'm planning on sailing back but if the numbers are right, I'd prefer shipping back. If you need any data let me know.

Rich Hillman
    captainrich1@sbcglobal.net
    Horizon - Contessa 26

Bob,

After the last race (2006) I left my boat in Hawaii and sailed it back to the mainland the summer of 2007. I had planned on doing the same this year, but finding a place for the winter is a problem, so if the price is reasonable, I'd be interested in shipping to the west coast. On the trailer the boat probably weighs about 3600 pounds, is 24 feet long with a 38 foot mast.
    The boat is currently on the trailer in Seattle, I'll tow it to SF, then tow the trailer to San Diego if necessary. Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

Paul Woodward
    s/v Hesperus
    Paul Woodward

I got a call from Larry Cummins from 'Load A Boat' company, who says he is ready to work with the SSS TransPac'ers to ship their boats back at very competitive rates, and says he can beat Matson. Plus they can work out any arrangement of using your own trailer or not (quite an advantage) as well as trucking it anywhere in the country. The more you ask them to do, of course, the more it costs. I asked him to start a thread with more detailed info and he said he would.

The site is www.loadaboat.com and Larry seems to be able to make quotes pretty quickly right over the phone once you give him the boat dimensions and what you want them to do.

- Mark