Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poles and Water Rules

Default Poles and Water Rules

some of the rules are in conflict with the ISAF-RRS AND USSA but that will be worked out as time goes by but can someone give a better explaination of couple of the rules.

example 3.01
    one or more spinnaker pole may be used for headsails BUT NOT for setting spinnaker.

or 4.36

thanks
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-07-2010 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by solosailormike View Post
    some of the rules are in conflict with the ISAF-RRS AND USSA but that will be worked out as time goes by but can someone give a better explaination of couple of the rules.

example 3.01
    one or more spinnaker pole may be used for headsails BUT NOT for setting spinnaker.

or 4.36
    3.01: 2 poles may be used for twin jibs. Only one pole may be used on spinnaker. Spinnakers are not jibs, and PHRF measures them differently.

4.36: You either must carry an AIS receiver, or radar w/ perimeter alarm.

Default stacking

Skip,

Thanks for the writeup you did for the WX/tactics seminar. It's definitely the most detailed of its kind that I've seen so far.

In it you mention stacking sails on the weather rail. Is the race committee cool with that? Is it legal under RRS 51? What about fore and aft trim?

I have a very tender boat, and I've been wondering how to pack things so I don't drag the transom on the way out of the bay, or bury the bow on the surf into Hanalei, so questions about moving weight around are pretty interesting to me.

Adrian
    Idefix

While we're on the subject, how about rule 4.11 on water supply? At the risk of being accused again by Dr. Lou of mental masturbation, I believe that as written this rule doesn't support its own intent.

The rule states: "... no more than half of which may be carried in any one container."

If "which" refers to the 21 gallon minimum, this means that you can't put more than 10.5 gallons in any one container, even a 50 gallon tank if you have it.

If "which" refers to the total on board, it means that you can only have two water containers and they must carry equal amounts. Think about it.

I presume that the intent of the rule is that if one container loses all its water, at least half the minimum supply should remain. One way of stating this is:

"Water containers, securely installed, capable of holding a total of at least 21 gallons of fresh water in two or more separate containers. If any one such container is excluded from the total, the remaining container(s) shall contain at least 10.5 gallons."

Right? That's how I'm planning my tankage anyway.
    Max

Default water tanks

My interpretation of that sentence was that "which" refers to "total". So you can't have more than half your water in one tank.

I don't see why you'd be restricted to two equal containers under that interpretation, though. I have four 7-gallon jugs, for a total of 28 gallons, with no more than half (14 gallons) in a single container, and altogether my tanks can carry more than 21 gallons.

I can see a scenario where this doesn't make much sense: if my boat has a single, fixed 20-gallon tank, and I bring along two 7-gallon jugs. I have 34 gallons, and if I lose one I'm left with more than 10.5 gallons, but more than half of the total is in one tank, so I don't meet the rule. Take 3 gallons capacity off of my fixed tank and I'm good to go.

In practice, I'd look at worst-case scenarios and re-evaluate those on a daily basis: if my tanks are plumbed together, are the tanks isolated so I can't lose all my water? Do I keep the valves closed? What happens if I lose my fullest tank at the start? What about 400 miles out of Hanalei?

Adrian
    Idefix

Quote Originally Posted by cafemontaigne View Post
    Skip,

In it you mention stacking sails on the weather rail. Is the race committee cool with that? Is it legal under RRS 51? What about fore and aft trim?

Adrian
    Idefix
    Thanks, Adrian,

I do not speak for the SHTP RC, and would of course yield to their interpretation.

Historically, "stacking" for Transpacs has been an interesting and often controversial practice for decades. Entrants often started Transpacific Races with noticeable angles of heel from water tankage, bunks, etc. One SC-70 even had their interior accommodations and cabinetry built in to starboard.

The Los Angeles-Hono Transpac got tired of the question, and adopted their own Rule 1.3, which in part says "movement of sails not in use while racing is allowed."

RRS 51 says sails must be "properly stowed."

"Properly stowed," if not further defined, is a grey area open to differing interpretations. To me, "properly stowed" means secured against shifting and readily accessible.

Offshore, unlike batteries, canned goods, anchor and chain etc. stowed below, sails can only be used on deck. It is a time honored practice of stowing sails on deck, ready for use. On WILDFLOWER, the trysail and storm staysail stayed bent on, the next headsail(s) on deck to windward ready to go, and I steered comfortably sitting on two spinnaker bags.

Good Luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by cafemontaigne View Post

I don't see why you'd be restricted to two equal containers under that interpretation, though. I have four 7-gallon jugs, for a total of 28 gallons, with no more than half (14 gallons) in a single container, and altogether my tanks can carry more than 21 gallons.
    You're right, Adrian. Logic failure in that part of my post.

But I think my main tank is about 20 gallons. I intend to fill it, plus carry a 7 gallon jug and a couple of 2.5 gallon containers. If "which" refers to the total, I won't be legal under the rule as written. I could only be legal by underfilling my main tank. I don't think this is the RC's intent!

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    While we're on the subject, how about rule 4.11 on water supply? At the risk of being accused again by Dr. Lou of mental masturbation, I believe that as written this rule doesn't support its own intent.

The rule states: "... no more than half of which may be carried in any one container."

If "which" refers to the 21 gallon minimum, this means that you can't put more than 10.5 gallons in any one container, even a 50 gallon tank if you have it.

If "which" refers to the total on board, it means that you can only have two water containers and they must carry equal amounts. Think about it.

I presume that the intent of the rule is that if one container loses all its water, at least half the minimum supply should remain. One way of stating this is:

"Water containers, securely installed, capable of holding a total of at least 21 gallons of fresh water in two or more separate containers. If any one such container is excluded from the total, the remaining container(s) shall contain at least 10.5 gallons."

Right? That's how I'm planning my tankage anyway.

Max
    my intent was to carry 20 gallon in separate continers with a water maker as my primary sourse, but the way I read it , there is no way to even connect my two tanks for filling.
    Last edited by solosailormike; 05-19-2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: remove the a insentence

Default radar

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    3.01: 2 poles may be used for twin jibs. Only one pole may be used on spinnaker. Spinnakers are not jibs, and PHRF measures them differently.

could you send me a list of manufactures who make a radar with perimeter alarms that would fit on a 24 sailboat with solar panels hooked up for the lights and radio, etc. How many boats carried radar on the last event?

Default twins

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post

The reason for the question is when you have twins running, the boat just steers herself on what ever course set automaticly. Hiscock used this method as did Mcclain on Trekka and it does not wear-tear like furling does on the bolt, its quick to change. The wording, and the personal use of a whisker pole verses spinnaker pole is misleading. I guess I am alone on this one issue but I have always found a chute over whelming in rolling seas.