Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poles and Water Rules

Quote Originally Posted by solosailormike View Post
    could you send me a list of manufactures who make a radar with perimeter alarms that would fit on a 24 sailboat with solar panels hooked up for the lights and radio, etc. How many boats carried radar on the last event?
    Furuno, RayMarine, Garmin, JRC, Sitex, and others make small boat radars. All modern radars have perimeter alarms.

Compared to AIS, radars for small boats are expensive, complex to install, and power hungry. AIS gives pretty much the same info (alerts to commercial shipping over 65 feet LOA in the vicinity, distance off, course, and speed.)

12 boats carried radar in '08 SHTP. On my boat (27',) I used AIS 100% of the time, and radar less than 10%. And that 10% was to alert for approaching squalls, not shipping.

As for radar... AIS would probably suit you better. Mine is a transciever and does not use much power. Requires a VHF antenna.

-jak

Greetings from the R/C! I came in here looking for something else and stumbled across this. I meant to write a reply long ago - sorry!

I don't know about during the race but I know on the trip home, two boats have suffered the loss of their water. In one case it was a plumbing issue and in the other, a hole wore through the larger of their plastic tanks. Most of their water went into the bilge and they had to return to Hanalei. So it has happened. I would make sure your plastic tanks are not wedged in against something that is hard or sharp and that they are strapped down so they can't fall against something or have the cap knocked off, etc.

The wording of the rule may not be as precise as it could be but logic should prevail. Carry at least 21 gallons of fresh water and make sure that if you lost a tankful you would still have enough, with rationing, to get to your destination. Mike, connecting two tanks for filling compromises the intent of the rule. Here on land, well-rested and careful, you know to switch the valves properly, but out there goofy things can and do happen.

Regarding the two poles - some boats with symmetric spinnakers will set a second pole while gybing and then remove the first. Among other things, this rule is a reminder that you have to remove the first pole after the gybe.