Thread: computer statistics for winning

Default computer statistics for winning

Where are the computed statistics for winning time? Example, if your boat has a PHRF 168, how many hours will that boat have to go before it beats a 60 maxi down hill shed.

My, you certainly have a lot of questions Mike. Why don't you tell us a bit about yourself, your boat and your plans?

Perhaps Ragtime's Log Entry during the 2008 SH TransPac will help answer your question about the handicaps:

"In yesterday's post I mentioned the handicaps. Connie (my wife) said this was helpful so here's how you figure the time allowances at the finish. The handicap for each boat is its "PCR" shown on the "Divisions" page of this SHTP site, and this race is handicapped using "Time-on Distance." To see the time allowance between any two boats, take the difference in their PCR's and multiply that difference by 2,120 (miles, the length of the race). This gives you the allowance in seconds. Divide by 3,600 to get it in hours. Or of course you could shorten this and just multiply the difference in the two boat's PCR's by .59

For example, using Ragtime! and my closest division rival, Polar Bear: My PCR is 121, his is 99. The difference of 22, multiplied by .59, shows that he has to finish 13 hours ahead of me to beat me."

Default Division PCR

I am wrapping my ears around this one, I think I understand PCR. I saw the division page but didn’t put it together until now. There is four winners A-D, And for example, Div C there is a Folkboat at 249 and Mini 650 at 116. A difference of 133 x .59 = 78.5 hours. So to win in that division the mini 650 must cross 78.5 hours ahead of the Folk boat. If the mini-650 crosses the finish line only 77.5 hours ahead he loses to the Folkboat,[other boats not in this example]

Where do these numbers come from, how do they get in a division. Example how does a Wyliecat 30 get to sail against a Westsail 32.

Default Isn't it cool

Where else do you get match ups like this? It comes down to sailing the boat, whatever it is, as fast as possible. And you don't have to be a millionaire.

-jak

Quote Originally Posted by solosailormike View Post
    Where do these numbers come from, how do they get in a division. Example how does a Wyliecat 30 get to sail against a Westsail 32.
    To answer the first part of your question, here is the very next post from Ragtime's log during the 2008 race:

"Finally, a follow-up on yesterday's discussion of PCR's. One may ask, 'Since it has such a big effect on the race's outcome, how does a boat receive its rating?' Ah, THERE'S the rub! For some boats that's where the beer gets stuck in the screen door and for others 'yes, Victoria, there really IS a Santa Claus!' I could quote you all the fancy formulae but that's the gist of it." (I know, it should have been "Virginia." I think Ragtime's skipper was a bit weary when he wrote that one.)

Regarding the second part of the question, "how do they get in a division," that requires even deeper magic. In fact, by the end of the weekend the divisions for 2010's race may look entirely different due to the three withdrawals.

As for the Westsail 32, SARABAND is no ordinary Westsail 32. I was also told by the skipper that the Folkboat has been turbo'd!

I withdrew Dura Mater with her 273 PHRF in order to give all you big boats a better chance of winning. Please remember that as you all pass me on my first offshore trip to Half Moon Bay. Oh Lord, your sea is so large and my boat is so small.

Three withdrawals? My heart goes out to you guys...

After 8 months of working night and day, sacrificing my health and savings to turn my buoy racer into an ocean racer, I'm going to be so relieved when (if) I cross the starting line in front of CYC, it will truly feel like I've crossed the finish line of a much greater race.

Then all that will be left is a little sail to Hawaii (and back).

Adrian
    Idefix

Quote Originally Posted by cafemontaigne View Post
    Three withdrawals? My heart goes out to you guys...
    1) Nereida has departed Nelson, NZ and appears to be headed between the islands (Wellington) to begin her trip to Hawaii.
    Here's her latest web entry:

http://synereida.livejournal.com/85602.html

There's no way she could make San Francisco by 6/19 and Hanalei is looking doubtful.

2) Hesperus's new mast won't be done in time so Paul had to withdraw.

3) Maitreya has withdrawn "officially" but the qualifier extension has him back on the fence.

My heart goes out to YOU guys . . . I'm just watching and having deja vu.

Don't miss Ronnie's great write-up about his qualifier on the front page of that certain sailing website some of us love to hate.
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-22-2010 at 05:33 PM.

Default Great Race

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    My, you certainly have a lot of questions Mike. Why don't you tell us a bit about yourself, your boat and your plans?

Perhaps Ragtime's Log Entry during the 2008 SH TransPac will help answer your question about the handicaps:

"In yesterday's post I mentioned the handicaps. Connie (my wife) said this was helpful so here's how you figure the time allowances at the finish. The handicap for each boat is its "PCR" shown on the "Divisions" page of this SHTP site, and this race is handicapped using "Time-on Distance." To see the time allowance between any two boats, take the difference in their PCR's and multiply that difference by 2,120 (miles, the length of the race). This gives you the allowance in seconds. Divide by 3,600 to get it in hours. Or of course you could shorten this and just multiply the difference in the two boat's PCR's by .59

For example, using Ragtime! and my closest division rival, Polar Bear: My PCR is 121, his is 99. The difference of 22, multiplied by .59, shows that he has to finish 13 hours ahead of me to beat me."
    I think that is one reason why this race is great
    thanks for info
    Mike
    Time for Cool Change