Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SHTP 2010 Roll Call, Communications Plan posted

Default Raft up

Hi guys, the raft up sounds like a great idea. Thanks for suggesting AJ. Culebra will probably join you all.

This week I finished up plumbing in the spare fuel tank for the trip home. What a relief to have that done... and it works! A few weeks ago I got my sat phone, installed an external antenna and tested texting, grib file retrieval, email and such. The major projects are all done. Lots of little stuff to tinker with. Thinking about food now, watching the weather off shore. Planning to go off shore this weekend Sun-Mon to try everything out under bouncy conditions and practice on the SSB. Hopefully 1 or 2 of you would be around for some radio checks while I'm out there (John/Dream Chaser, I'll try you on 4B, maybe we could pick a few times that are convenient?). Oh, there's so much junk on the boat that has to come off first, though... including the big AC-powered shop vac.

See you over there tonight.

Paul/Culebra

Second Verse is here and one beer ahead of everyone.

AJ

Default Pakele's status

I will be leaving for San Francisco sometime before 7-June-10. I just have a few maintenance things to take care of and supply Pakele with some victuals.

Cheers, Gary

George/TAZ!! here. I spent the weekend finishing a lot of stuff...solar panels, inspecting and taping all fitings, extra halyard, loading water and tuning mast.

It's time for finishing my food and looking at more GRIB files. Yea, what a mess. That high is just sitting in the way of everything and it looks like it could stay where it is. I hope it makes up it's mind soon.

I need to test my SSB. I think there are others who need to do this too.

My biggest challenge is calming down.
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-07-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Warrior's Wish has fixed her alternator's wiring issues and improved the performance of her SSB. Still have a few more maintenance things to take care of and to fill the boat with food and water. Other than that, we're almost ready to go.

Here's a video of us practicing on Sunday, (sailing to south beach to see the electrician.) using one of my new GoPro HD cameras, courtesy of Go Pro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xquvhNdgm0

Quote Originally Posted by glythcott View Post
    I need to test my SSB. I think there are others who need to do this too.
    How about Saturday afternoon, say 1600? Does anyone have a link identifying the frequencies for common channels (4A, 4B etc)?
    My biggest challenge is calming down.
    I feel pretty calm, at least I did until last night when I dreamed that my boat pulled up to a dock (someone else was driving), bumped a rock and turned turtle with the keel fallen off.

Max, don't-cha just HATE it when that happens?

If you guys are able to get out into the Bay and anchor off your marinas, that's the best way to chat on the SSB. The boats in the Estuary can motor out to the shallow water off of the (former) Naval Air Station and anchor. You just can't hear each other inside of a marina. I could even hear Skip in Capitola when we did this in 2008. Here are the freq's:

Primary check-in (short range) 4.021.0
    Backup frequency (short range) 4.027.0
    Primary check-in (mid range) 6.224.0 (6A)
    Backup frequency (mid range) 6.227.0 (6B)
    Primary check-in (long range) 8.185.0
    Backup frequency (long range) 8.191.0

For you HAM types, these are all Upper-Sideband.

The Communications Plan is now posted on the SHTP web page.
    Please print one out, read it carefully and ask any questions here or
    on the race e-mail at Yahoo. Thanks.
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-10-2010 at 04:17 PM.

Default Koh Samia out

Hi,

I wanted to let you know (even, though, you probably knew already) that Koh Samia will not be at the starting line next weekend. Too many issues with rudders and tiller on my classification intents are telling me to not to rush and fix the whole steering system for good. An that takes more time than I actually have.

It's been a great time just trying to go, hopefully in 2012 I can experience the 'actually sailing there' version of it.

Thanks all for your support, I'll be around next Friday/Saturday.

See you all there!

Santi

Tonight we had a four-way impromptu SSB comm check with Tiger Beatle, Dream Chaser, Cinabar (spelling?), and Second Verse. Though not all SSB's worked perfectly, what did come through loud and clear was the high level of fellowship this race fosters.

It's a pleasure to be part of the group.

See you Wednesday.

AJ

Default another radio check today?

I cranked up the SSB at 1600 yesterday, but I couldn't find the paper with the race frequencies on it! Naturally it turned up right where I was looking a couple of hours later.

I still want to get a radio check in, so I'll try it again on 4021 at least, today at 1800. Anybody want to join in? Rob? Cinnabuns?

Max
    Last edited by Critter; 06-13-2010 at 09:41 AM.