Thread: Prop banding / shaft sealing

Default Prop banding / shaft sealing

Bob, can you expand on this statement in the other thread: "you can't put your engine in reverse to close the prop". Why not?

I've been looking at my Saildrive and shift lever, and I can picture a seal on the transmission that would break if I shifted into forward, but would allow me to shift into reverse to lock the prop. It's hard to imagine how I could gain a competitive advantage by using reverse.

I don't know about other folding props, but I suspect that mine would still turn slowly if it were only banded.

Max

Solar Wind may be the exception Max.

Boats with inboards are probably going to run their engines in neutral to charge their batteries. Then after shutting down, most of us would shift into reverse to close the prop (to reduce drag and save our transmissions). It sounds like you might be able to do that without breaking the R/C's seal but most boats cannot.

Those who need to keep their engine in neutral might want a rubber band on the prop if it's the kind where one blade can flop open. On mine the blades are geared together so I probably wouldn't need a rubber band.

To keep the shaft from slowly turning in neutral (and breaking the R/C's seal if it's on the shaft vs. the shift lever), some skippers clamp a pair of vice grips (or similar) on the prop shaft. You want to be able to get them off quickly though, at least until you're out of the shipping lanes.

I hope that all makes sense.